Author Topic: BIRTH LOOK UP: Mary Robison 1852/3  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BIRTH LOOK UP: Mary Robison 1852/3
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Frances does list her birth place as Kirby Lonsdale in 1871 so it certainly looks as though she is the right Fanny and one of her children is named Dinah after her mother

I am also confused - Could she have married Thomas Robinson  first and then they split up or Thomas died??

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:51 GMT (UK) »
On the 1891 census image Frances is still listed as Frances Reynolds. Although she is still listed as married I wonder  whether she split from her husband pre 1881

Offline ssn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
On Mary Robison's marriage cert 1871 her father is not shown as deceased.
In 1871 census Mary Robison is living with Dinah Gordon and is shown as age 17.  The 1871 census was taken 2nd April.  When Mary got married on 10 July 1871 she was 18 so her birthday surely must be between 3rd April and 9th July 1853.  This could fit with the marriage between Fanny Gordon and Thomas Robinson in Dec 1852.  I've searched 1851 census and I can only find one Frances with father John Gordon.  I wonder if Thomas did die?  Or did Frances comitt bigamy?  How to find out?

Henry Reynolds died 1899.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 January 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
It is not unusual for a father not to be listed as deceased on a marriage cert when he had died.   I can't see Thomas post 1851 so maybe he did die but why would Fanny/Frances revert to her maiden name?? 

Interesting that Frances is in Scotland in 1881 maybe indicating she had lived there at some point earlier in her life.

Offline ssn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 January 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Mary Robison and William Lindsley had a child shown on 1881 census as Francis, so I always assumed a male child.  However, I've just checked FindMyPast (currently £1 for a month) and it shows a Frances, with an "e", a girl born 1879 died November 1881.   I think you've cracked it.  I do believe Frances Gordon was Mary Robison's mother.  I've worked through all of Dinah's daughters previously but because Fanny was a Reynolds I didn't think it must be her.  Now to try and find out what happened with Fanny and Thomas Robinson.  Thank you so much Kay. 

Well, Mary Robison is consistent about where she was born always stating Edinburgh/Midlothian, Scotland.  John Gordon, Dinah's husband came from Dumfries and Thomas Robinson's dad from Yetholm.  They must have had strong Scottish connections. 

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 January 17 07:22 GMT (UK) »
I do wonder why Thomas and Fanny married in Hull?  It would be interesting to see if the marriage cert gave any more information

I can't see a death for Thomas in Scotland and with the couple traveling for a living finding a possible death for him looks very difficult.   I wonder if the couple had more children who died pre 1861? Were you aware that the General Record Office birth index gives the mother's maiden names for births and is free to search if you register.   https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp

Kay

Offline ssn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 January 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I think I've gone as far as I can with this.  Mary Robison's mother seems to have been identified.  Thank you Kay.  I've looked for death of Thomas Robinson but there are quite a few that would fit the bill.  Further investigation is called for.  Once again many thanks to all who have helped.

Offline Sonia Hilton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 April 20 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hi My Grandmother Jane Young was the daughter of Dinah and John Gordon The family had strong ties to Kinross outside Edinburgh so Mary may have been born there as my grandmother was there in 1868 Forfar is not far from kinross and we had connections there too. I hope this helps