Author Topic: Hopefully an easy question about Portobello in 1861  (Read 763 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hopefully an easy question about Portobello in 1861
« on: Friday 06 January 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi. My great great grandparents Margaret Crawford Johnson and William Inglis got married in Portobello in 1861. My grt grt grandmother was born in 1834 in Shetland and came over to Portobello between 1851 and 1861. They were married in Victoria Terrace, Portobello which was also her address. For this reason I am assuming that it was more than the address of an employer but I know that she was a domestic servant. I can't find her anywhere in the 1861 census and am trying to find out who was living in Victoria Terrace in 1861. I have Scotland's People but need the name of any family living there to be able to see the records, I can't do it on just the name of the street.  Please does anyone know the names of any family at this address in 1861 so that I can get the records on SP.
Thanks
Alison

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully an easy question about Portobello in 1861
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Search SP under the Valuation rolls. If you leave the name blank but search under 1865, Victoria Terrace and Portobello, you will get a list of occupants or tenants for Victoria Terrace (including for 1861). Victoria Terrace appears to have been off Melville St, judging by the results I saw. You can do that search free. I got 41 entries (same households spanning a number of years).
Elwyn

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
She's with a William Caldwell and family.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB4K-4J8

Listed (on A*try) as Margaret JOHNSTON age 27 born Stromness,Shetland Domestic Serv. Cook living at Victoria Terrace Portobello.

Maureen

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn and Maureen, that's brilliant. You have now found me my 2 x great grandmother (and where Victoria Terrace was) and I now know how to look at Valuation Rolls in the future - wonderful.
Many thanks
Alison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Listed (on A*try) as Margaret JOHNSTON age 27 born Stromness,Shetland
Stromness is in Orkney and I am not aware of another place with the same name in Shetland. Is this an enumerator's error, or a classic example of an A******y mistranscription? You must check by looking at the original document!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking, I will get a copy of the original. I am betting on it being the transcription, two months after the census Margaret gave the same address for her marriage so it must be her, she was born in Sandwick!
Alison