Author Topic: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh  (Read 5880 times)

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilmerton, near Edinburgh
« on: Friday 06 January 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where Sundial Cottage, Gilmerton is please?  I cannot find it by searching postal addresses and would like to locate it within the village and visit later this year when I go to Edinburgh.  My husbands relatives (Mitchell) used to live there in mid - late 1800's.
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I live not too far from Gilmerton, but I couldn't tell you where Sundial Cottage was.  I expect that in the mid/late 1800's Drum Street, and possibly a couple of streets leading off it (Ravenscroft?), were all that Gilmerton consisted of.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gilmerton+Cove/@55.9017121,-3.1373785,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x52dd3e88314a5fd4!8m2!3d55.9056212!4d-3.1331548

Hope that someone can help.
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
The Canmore site mentions a Hudson Cottage which was at 389 Gilmerton Road and had a sundial over the gate. I wonder if maybe locals called it Sundial Cottage.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 January 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I expect someone more experienced than I could find you a decent map on the NLS or Canmore sites.  This very blurred image is all I can find:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=55.9038&lon=-3.1418&layers=5&b=1

link attached now

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 January 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
If you put 389 Gilmerton road into Google streetview you will see Hudson cottage which still has the sundial above the gate.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 17 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I think 389 Gilmerton Road is closer to Moredun/Liberton than Gilmerton settlement itself.

Hopefully this map will show you the general area around the time you are interested in.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=55.9038&lon=-3.1418&layers=5&b=1

Kit

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:20 GMT (UK) »

Hi,
    I think Sundial Cottage is at the top of Ravenscroft Street Gilmerton (this was previously Main Street )
. If you google  Westland Cottages I am pretty sure the cottage is directly opposite them .

There was a company in the area known as "Sundial"  a few years ago which I believe was based in this area.

If it is the Mitchells who had the "Mechanic Arms" Public House in Gilmerton that your husband is connected to --- there is a descendant of this family still runs it which is locally known as "Mitchells "

suzilad

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 January 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thread on RootsWeb.  Open all the posts listed at the bottom of the thread.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/MIDLOTHIAN/2010-07/1278345327

Kit

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 January 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for the link I sometimes go back to Gilmerton and have a walk down "Memory Lane " family were  in the area in mid 1880's until recently.
The other public house "The Gardeners Arms " known locally as "Marshalls " in the 1940's/50's or the "top shop" Mechanic Arms as the "bottom shop" is now closed
The hall at the crossroads is "The Society Hall " and Mr Cumberland was the fishmonger his son was Alan I was fascinated as a child at the water continually running down the window of the shop.
Violet Mitchell had two daughters Molly who had the shop on the opposite corner of Main Street as it was then and Patsy it is her daughter who runs the pub now. Violet's son was known as Mac he run the pub until his death many years ago .
Hope this helps fill in some blanks .
I hope to be in the area soon and will see it I can find the cottage .
I think the company I refer to known as Sundial was in fact a laundrette /laundry business.

suzilad