Author Topic: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh  (Read 5881 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmerton, near Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 January 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
A number of the place names are shown on the map Forfarian posted at #10.  If it was next to/close to the Manse, that should be easy enough to find on the ground?  Not sure if I have time tomorrow but if I do, I might just pop over to Gilmerton and have a look :)

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 January 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I have time tomorrow but if I do, I might just pop over to Gilmerton and have a look :)
I was thinking the same thing - might bump into you!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 January 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »

Gosh I was thinking the same thing !!! Lived in Gilmerton until five years ago .

Mum right back to my great great grandparents were all born there lived and died there.

suzilad

ADDED -- It might be of some interest to bullzeye that in the directory which Monica posted there is

a James Blackwood Mitchell --(D.McLaren)  a pharmacist at 58 South Clerk Street Edinburgh and the house is given as 2 Bernard Terrace.

Might this be his grandfather ?

suzilad

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 January 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »

I had a spare few credits on SP and had a look at the Valuation Roll for 1930

At Venture Fair which is along the lane beside South Farm is a piggery which belonged to a Alan Repdath
coming back on to Main Street is Glencairn which is owned by a Mrs. Marion Kerr (and later by her son Thomas Kerr  ) next is Mrs. Janet Mitchell Sundial  then a Mrs. Susan Watson who owned all the houses in Ravenscroft Place as my grandfather was born there moved a few doors down when he and my gran married and my mother was  also born there he is on the sheet listed as a tenant
We found the rent book for the property when my gran died and it named the owner as Mrs. Susan Watson Saxe Coburg Edinburgh.
It appears that Sundial is where I thought.

suzilad

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 January 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
So, are we saying that Sundial is on the same side as Glencairn (not the Westland Cottage side) and accessed at the very end of the off-shoot lane?

Streetview with 'Glencairn' on the left:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.902556,-3.1359939,3a,75y,183.33h,85.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_1D9Qx7w_6WhcCa6hOlyUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

End of off-shoot lane
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9022904,-3.1363683,3a,75y,184.85h,63.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3xiaJ8tsHdEvxPF6X-S4Xg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

which looks like 'Hay Cottage' in the side by side map:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=18&lat=55.9024&lon=-3.1360&layers=168&right=BingHyb

or, have I got it completely wrong  :P

Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 January 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Suzielad, kit and Monica,
You certainly have been busy . Now I'm being spurred into getting my family history out again.
Sundial is beginning to come to life again.
Mrs J.C .Mitchell was my grand uncles widow and I think ther were 5children, three girls and two boys
,Joyce, born 1893,Catheriine born 1895,Richard born 1902 (emigrated to Canada in late 1940's),John Charles Gibson Mitchell born in South Africa 1905, Grizel , born 1909 in South Africa. All three followed their father into medicine.
their father died in in 1913 in Johanesberg of tuberculosis and the family returned a to Gilmerton.
John returned to South Africa after graduating in medicine at Edinburgh.inthe late 30s and then later to Souther Rhodesia.

My great grandmother Janet( aka Jennie) married Charles Mitchell born in Newton 1847.
Janet died 23/12/1930 at Ferniehill Road Gilmerton . CHarles was a Carter,haulier and dairyman .

The Mitchell family I belong to was from Woolmet, Liberton,Inveresk And Gilmerton.
the search continues.
Many thanks for all your help.
Best regards, Angus
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 January 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »

Hi Kit,
         Yes it is last cottage next to Glencairn . The other cottage I think was a worker's cottage on the estate next door -- it was in the 50/60's a market garden owned by a Bob Ritchie ,
 I'm sometimes meet up with a lady who had a shop in the area and  I am hoping she will confirm a few other things about the Mitchell family for Angus.

Angus if I can help in any other way please just ask I am often in Gilmerton .I am actually trying to find out a bit more about the Mitchell lady who lived in Ferniehill Road and the Blackwoods.

suzilad

Offline bullzeye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 January 17 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Suzielad,
Thank you for all your efforts to locate" Sundial ". We are coming up to Edinburgh in March and will visit Gilmerton.
As far as Charles and Janet Mitchell , I can give you birth dates, census details etc when I get my act together. I haven't really done much family history for 5 or so years as I was working away.

do you subscribe to Ancestry as I have put some. Information there on the Mitchell and Blackwood Mitchell trees.
Please let me know how I can help.
Best regards, Angus
BLACKWOOD (Ayrshire)
Mitchell , Edinburgh
Mitchell ,Forfar
Wood, Forfar

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 January 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Well done Suzilad - enjoyed reading this one -  ;D

Regards
Sandra  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada