Author Topic: John & Elizabeth MANTEL emigrated to Australia after 1885  (Read 7400 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John & Elizabeth MANTEL emigrated to Australia after 1885
« on: Friday 06 January 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have a John Mantel/l (or Mantle) born 1816 Bedford & moved to Newport Pagnell with family before 1871. On 1881 census he is in Newport Pagnell, 'Artist in Hair', widower, age 66; wife Sarah had died December qtr 1880 age 63. Last sighting is him listed on the 1885 Electoral Roll at North Square, Shrubbery Cottage, Newport Pagnell. I've not found a death index for him or a sighting on the 1891 census. There is a marriage index in Sept 1885 in Newport Pagnell RD of John Mantell to Elizabeth Froggatt, as I've discounted the other 2 names.

Today I  found this snippet from local newspaper archive; from Beds Times 20th September 1946;
From Bedfordian's Diary – More memories of John Mantel. This tale was told. “After his wife, a gentle, lady-like person, died (in 1880), things did not go well for him. He married again (1885), and eventually emigrated at an advanced age to Australia, where he died".

So I'm now looking for passenger lists, emigration & immigration records to find out where they went. I've so far found a Mr & Mrs Mantell on the ship Himalaya that left London 8 Nov 1894 & arrived Sydney 4 Dec 1894, but there are no ages, initials/first names, UK address ... so not sure it's them.

Any help from Australian records would be welcome.

Thanks John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John & Elizabeth MANTEL emigrated to Australia after 1885
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 17 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you know his parents' names? 

This article from 1890...

"The following is the medical superintendent's report of the state of the Benevolent Asylum, Dunwich, for the week ending 29th March........The death during the week was that of John Mantell, aged 81, a native of Bedford, England."

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3516665/98349

Queensland BDMs are free to search online:

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

The parents of that man are named as Richard MANTELL and Sarah WOODROFFE

Debra  :)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra, thanks for that,  yes those were his parents, so he died in March 1890, thus it was not them on the Himalaya in 1894. I don't know parents of his wife Elizabeth and I've not found a likely death for her.   

Cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thought I'd add this entry..

Mr Mantell arrived Sydney 24 August 1886 on Sulley transcribed as Sutlej! also Mrs Mantell. Leaving from London. Date is transcribed as 19 but has 24 on page.

Possible..
Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

At the free to search website linked below, the ship's name is transcribed as Lutley.

http://marinersandships.com.au/1886/08/098lut.htm 

Scroll down and then click on the scanned images of the passenger and crew lists.  Listed there is a couple,  a Mr & Mrs MANTELL for Sydney.  NO Initials. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 03:04 GMT (UK) »
You can see an example of the Dunwich admission register here (click on the first image):

http://ancestor-envy.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/the-elder-seal.html

There is quite a lot of personal information there.  Queensland Archives will not do research for you, but as there is not extensive research involved it is worth contacting them with your enquiry to ask if they can locate and quote you the cost of obtaining a copy of the register page for John MANTEL(L).  Make sure you give them all the info you have.

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Runcorn/Pages/Enquiries.aspx

Copying costs are quite good.

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Runcorn/Pages/CopyingCharges.aspx

Debra  :) 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 17 03:17 GMT (UK) »
John,

If you would like this copied I can do this for you.

(Debra, if you know your way around the Qld Archives website can you provide a link to the relevant document/s to aid with the search - as I seldom use the site I tend to get  bit lost in it. If not I can ask the archivist for help.  :) )

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 17 03:54 GMT (UK) »
You can apply to the Queensland BMD for a historical image which is a scanned copies of the life event records held in our registers. These images are not certified by the Registrar-General and cannot be used for official purposes.  Cost is $AU20.70 and you download it direct.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

Australian death registrations are usually very informative, with much better genealogical information than English/Welsh ones.  Of course, the extent and validity of the information on record depends on the informant's knowledge (or truthfulness!)  Although John was at the Benevolent Asylum, someone knew enough about an 81 year-old man to know his parents' names and his birthplace so there may be other good information also.

This site lists what you should find on BMD registrations in the various states:
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

Looks as though the Dunwich register may have just as good information.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk