Author Topic: Joseph Godwin Upton St Leonards marriage.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Godwin Upton St Leonards marriage.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
So who were the parents of 'our' Dianah who was born 1847/1848?

A Mars bar for anyone with the correct answer!

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Diana was born in 1848 the daughter of Dianah Manning and William Hopgood At some stage William and Dianah(Ann must have spit up and young Dianah reverted to her Mothers maiden name of Manning. Her baptism cert shows Hopgood and her parents were officially married(I have a cert) At 1851 Dianah is living with her Grandmother Fanny now a widow on the farm at Cam Green and is shown as Dianah Granddaughter.1861 she is still with her Grandmother and shown as Dianah Manning Granddaughter. By 1871 she is a servant in the house of Richard Palmer a market gardener of 1 Mitre St Gloucester. By 1881 she is with my Great Grandfather at Upton St Leonards. They lived at Bond End Cottages and she was the Laundress at Boughton Hall and he the coachman. My Grandfather also worked there at one time as Boot Boy.I know her mother married at least twice more and changed her name to Tudor and White but on all the childrens birth certs and her death cert and will Dianah only changed her first name to Ann but kept to Manning.Bit of a mystery?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Marriage
Jan/Feb/Mar 1872
Dursley
ref 6a 347
Diana Tudor / William White

so unless William died, she wouldn't have been free to marry Joseph Godwin.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but this Dianah is the Mother not my Dianah.The Mother married twice to Tudor and then White. As far as I know my Great Grandmother hadn't married before my Great Grandfather.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 January 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I am getting confused with the Dianas
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 January 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
confusing!!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 January 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
They were a very religious family so I find it hard to think they would not have been married and their grave is very ornate and prominent in the churchyard for a couple who had not been formally married.

It was not unknown that when a man left with a young family had a female move in as a housekeeper to look after the children and she remained as 'his wife'.   The gravestone would possibly have been purchased by the children who would have no reason to believe that they had never married. Maybe her mothers experience of marriage put her off  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skala

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 January 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies .Yes maybe as you say she didn't have good recollections about marriage. Looks as if her Mother made up for it though. She didn't skint on the marriages? Think perhaps as you say Dianah was brought in to look after  young children and stayed. She was maybe in service at Broughton Hall at the same time as Joseph originally and when Caroline died she moved in! There were three children who were only 7,5,3and a new baby, just born when Caroline died probably as a result of childbirth. I know Diana was well thought of by the Dearham family who owned Broughton as she is mentioned as being left in charge of the house in his book" Diary of an English Country Gentleman", when he took all his employees on their annual trip to Malvern. Quite strange that they both died on the same day in Feb 1924 .I know that my Grandfather had problems sorting out their Wills ,but Dianah was the last to die and so it is her Will I have the copy of and she left quite a little nest egg. How as a Laundress I don't know as Joseph was quite a bit older than her and was shown as a pauper on the last census. Perhaps the visitors to the house left good tips?!!!