Author Topic: Robert Campbell  (Read 954 times)

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Robert Campbell
« on: Friday 06 January 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening Everyone

I am hoping someone can give a second opinion please.

I have a Robert Campbell born 1801 Logierat, parents James and Elizabeth Campbell. I have checked the 1851 Census and found only 1 born Logierat, so I have also checked how many Roberts born between 1799 and 1806 and there was only the 1. On the 1851 census Mountlothian PENICUICK Robert is aged 48, and has a wife Agnes born about 1815 Newbattle, children listed as Margaret aged 6,James aged 4, John aged 2 and Alexander aged 10 months. On the 1861 census PENICUICK Agnes is listed as the Head, John is aged 12, Alexander is 10, Agnes 6 and Robert aged 4. I am thinking that Robert may have died in/around 1857 but not sure where. I also think Agnes could be Agnes Kerr married to Robert in Penicuik June 1844.

Would it be safe to assume that this Robert belongs in my tree, any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Moo

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Campbell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone

I have checked all the Robert Campbell deaths on SP for Midlothian for the age and year of birth, and the only one that comes close is the death of a Robert on the 29th December 1860 , aged 53, Pauper, Married (no wife or parent's details) Royal Edinburgh Asylum. He appears to have been suffering for 18 months -general paralysis of the Insane  ;).
Agnes Kerr /Campbell dies in 1886 Mid Calder, shown as the Widow of Robert Campbell. I have even re checked births from 1799 - 1810 and this Robert was the only one recorded, which would allow for the difference in the age.
I appear to have come to a dead end  :(

Regards
Moo

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If it were me I would be inclined to agree that you have the correct Robert Campbell. I have experienced a similar situation in my own research and when everything else apart from lack of information on a death certificate agrees I have gone with it.

When Robert was admitted to the Asylum probably no details were asked for, it happened. As you will probably already have seen Agnes is described as a "pauper" in the 1861 census. Poor lass and even if she wanted to visit Robert it would have been too difficult. Penicuik is around 7 miles from the Asylum at Craiglockhart in Edinburgh and she was probably relying on Parish Relief for herself and the children so no spare money to make the journey. Just my thoughts.

Have you seen the 1881 census? Agnes aged 67 is now staying in Livingston, West Lothian with her son Alexander aged 31, her daughter Agnes aged 27 and 2 grandchildren. Mid Calder is only a short distance from Livingston.

I would be interested to know who registered her death ?

Hope these thoughts help you to make up your mind.

Regards

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline moo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dowdstree

Thank you for your reply.

I followed the children through for a couple of census where I could, and the naming pattern for the children and grand children is also very strong for Robert to be one of mine.  ;D

The informant for the death of Agnes was her son Robert, the address was given as Bellsquarry, which helped find Alexander in the 1871 Census. Robert (son) gave his address as Newpark Cottages, which helped me find him on the 1881 census.

I am claiming the family, so much information pointing in the right direction, I will however keep an eye out for an alternative death certificate for Robert.

Regards
Moo

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
That's great.

Good Luck with your research

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee