Author Topic: SMITH - Francis b 1810 and Samuel b 1819, Leochel-Cushnie  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
SMITH - Francis b 1810 and Samuel b 1819, Leochel-Cushnie
« on: Friday 06 January 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
This post follows on from this one here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761169.0 and is related to this one here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761676.0

As posted in the first of the two threads above, I have found the following children of William Smith and Euphemia Laing, all born in Leochel-Cushnie:

George (1804), Mary (1806 – not included in previous post), Arthur (1808), Francis (1810), Sarah (1812), Elspet (1814), Alexander (1817) and Samuel (1819).

Usually I try to trace all children, but for this very specific exercise I am mainly interested in the sons. 

George is my ancestor, and I have traced his descendants.

I have found marriages and children for both Arthur and Alexander.  I intend to explore their descendants separately.

I have not found a satisfactory candidate for Francis other than the baptism record.

On the 1841 census Samuel appears to be an Agricultural Labourer in the household of Ann Chapman but I cannot find him after that.

Any assistance with information about Francis and Samuel would be appreciated.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH - Francis b 1810 and Samuel b 1819, Leochel-Cushnie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 17 03:07 GMT (UK) »
I have recently re-visited this branch of the family to trace the descendants of the daughters Mary, Sarah and Elspet. 

From my research into Elspet it appears that Samuel migrated to the US - and that what I thought I had found for Alexander may not have been right: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784656.

Any possible information about Francis would still be appreciated.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Just closing the loop on this one.  It appears Francis died unmarried in Old Machar in 1871, age recorded as 60.

1841 census: Francis Smith age 30 in Old Machar at Stocket Milend, occupation Gardner - living alone.

1851 census: Francis Smith age 35 in Old Machar at South Stocket, born Tough, occupation Farm Overseer, living with a housekeeper.

1861 census: Francis Smith age 45 in Old Machar at Stocket Farm, born Leochel-Cushnie, occupation Farm Grieve, living with two employees, a ploughman and a house servant.

1871 census: Francis Smith age 54 in Old Machar at Glenburnie, born Leochel-Cushnie, occupation  Ground Officer, living alone.

I will get the death record in due course but I am confident this Francis is the son of William and Euphemia.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 19 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I will get the death record in due course but I am confident this Francis is the son of William and Euphemia.

I've got this death record, and this Francis Smith is noted as being the son of Charles Smith, farmer in Tough (deceased) and Elizabeth Smith ms Cassie (deceased). So would appear to not be your Francis Smith after all.

Ruth

ADDED: the death was registered by his brother, William Smith
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ruth!  That being the case, I'll put my Francis back on the wanted list with his brother Alexander.

Just for my notes, do you have the birth/baptism details of the Francis Smith born in Tough?  Or the marriage of his parents?