Author Topic: Weatherhead family in Tynemouth  (Read 8790 times)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherhead family in Tynemouth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 21:30 GMT (UK) »
It would appear James died at sea on the vessel "Mayborough" in 1859 at Hatteras Shoals returning from Dominica. All hands probably lost.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 17 14:27 GMT (UK) »
They were married at Christ Church, Tynemouth in the town of North Shields.  I found this out through the very useful Tyneside website 'Margaret Hall Genealogy '.  Save your money if you can wait up to a month and no one beats me to it I will look up the marriage for you when I get time.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 17 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, I was able to see some info on james and the vessel and that was amazing and I have to say I am overwhelmed by all the help I've had so far, thank you so much!
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 January 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have this info about Joseph Weatherhead...

Joseph Weatherhead
Spouse's Name    Elizabeth Carruthers
Event Date    07 Aug 1820
Event Place    Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England

Only problem is I wanted to look online for his marriage banns..and I can't figure out what church or county/city he would have been married in...is Berwick considered scotland in the 1820's

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Found this..any idea where I could get the original?

Joseph
Last name    Weatherhead
Sex    Male
Marriage year    1820
Marriage date    07 Aug 1820
Place    Berwick-upon-Tweed
Description    Holy Trinity
Spouse first name(s)    Elizabeth
Spouse last name    Carruthers
Groom's first name(s)    Joseph
Groom's last name    Weatherhead
Groom's parish    -
Bride's first name(s)    Elizabeth
Bride's last name    Carruthers
Bride's parish    -
County    Northumberland
Country    England
Record set    Northumberland and Durham Marriages
Category    Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)
Subcategory    Marriages & divorces
Collections from    United Kin

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned you are in Canada.

Do you have an LDS Family History Centre near where you are? I used one a lot when we lived in Alberta and was made very welcome even though I am not a church member. They are an amazing resource especially if you are researching remotely.

You can search for one from this link
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator?cid=hp2-1047

The LDS have a huge amount of digital images that can be accessed (including Banns registers and Marriage registers for the place and time frame you need)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j9j/

that link takes you to the page that lists what can be viewed at a Family History Centre but not online from home unless you are a church member or a member of a supporting organisation (not too sure what qualifies as supporting organisation)

Other than that, the original registers are held at Northumberland Archives http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/collections/ That is their homepage, there is a link on there to their copying service.

Be aware that the information on a marriage register from that time frame may well be sparse and not much (if anything) more than you have on the transcription you found.

Boo

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
In 1820 the marriage was most likely to be at Holy Trinity.  I can have a look at it next week if you wish but GENUKI doesn't mention the availability of any banns.

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
In 1820 the marriage was most likely to be at Holy Trinity.  I can have a look at it next week if you wish but GENUKI doesn't mention the availability of any banns.

Christine

Christine, I looked at the Archives Catalogue - took a while as it still moves like treacle in winter, but they do have Banns for Holy Trinity in Berwick. The reference to the originals is EP 38/22 for the time frame in question. I got the reference from the Family Search page at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j9j/

Its such a shame that these images can only be seen whilst at a Family History Centre as there is a huge amount of info for Northumberland. I assume the Archives won't give permission for us to view them from home.

Soon as the weather perks up, I am gong to give my nearest centre a call and see if I can go along and have a good firkle :-)

Boo

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:55 GMT (UK) »
You can view the Bishop of Durham's Transcript of the marriage (it is image 649 in the Bt's for Berwick upon Tweed). The only additional information is that they both signed with their mark. The witnesses were William Pearson and John Griffin.

You can access them by using the catalogue on Familysearch - search for Berwick upon Tweed and then select church records. From the list select bishop's transcripts and scroll down until you see a camera icon. Click on it and you can view the entire film for the parish.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)