Author Topic: Weatherhead family in Tynemouth  (Read 8838 times)

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherhead family in Tynemouth
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes the records for their daughter shows him as William Wagner or William Waggoner..not sure if this helps but my father told me his mother called my great great great grandmother lizzie waggoner
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the death certificate for Elizabeth Matchett on Family Search?
Date of Birth 1874
Name of father William Wagner
Place of birth Germany
Name of mother Elizabeth Weatherhead
Place of birth England
Place of burial Union Cemetery Whitney
Burial Sept 13 1931
Cause of death Carcinoma cervix uteri

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »

So @tikkety boo aka boo :)

"Which James Weatherhead?
If it was the one previously discussed, son of Joseph and Elizabeth who was baptised 10 Jun 1821 at Berwick upon Tweed, then did your info about the sentence come from the newspaper report in 1847? If so then that case was held at North Shields Police Court and he was sentenced to the House of Correction. That would be a general local prison, not specific to any one section of those sentenced."

Yes the james weatherhead that was in prison in 1847...

Okay so that question has been partially answered and you now have further links to info about the prison for you to pursue.

So that's a baby step forward with the first query in your post:-)

So, to the second one:

I would like to find Joseph Weatherhead's birth/death info/believed to be born in Berwick on tweed, england

Do you have any records for Joseph which would give at least a ball park figure for his year of birth? Do you have him on any census returns to pin down the last time you know he was still alive to narrow down his death year and where he was last recorded as living?

If you can shed some light on the above, then that will help.

Boo

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes the records for their daughter shows him as William Wagner or William Waggoner..not sure if this helps but my father told me his mother called my great great great grandmother lizzie waggoner

That sort of small piece of information with the christian name is quite important.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »

That sort of small piece of information with the christian name is quite important.

Sandra

Yes, but acquiring the art of compiling queries is a often a long process we all have to go through :-)

Interestingly, though the GRO index has Elizabeth down as WEATHERHEAD for the marriage to Anthony WAGNER, I checked the North Tyneside registrars site, originally to ascertain which church they married at.
The registrars site has the bride's surname as WEATHERSTONE and the register as C1 - which according to their list is Christchurch, North Shields.
Either the GRO or the Registrars have mistranscribed the record.

I have sent a PM to a Rootschatter who may look at the marriage on the register at Woodhorn next time she goes if she has the time. If she can find it, then we will have the full info from the record.

Boo

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
@middlesbrough
"Have you seen the death certificate for Elizabeth Matchett on Family Search?
Date of Birth 1874
Name of father William Wagner
Place of birth Germany
Name of mother Elizabeth Weatherhead
Place of birth England
Place of burial Union Cemetery Whitney
Burial Sept 13 1931"

Thank you for showing me this, I would have never thought of looking at William and Elizabeth's daughter's death certificate..so now we know he was born in Germany :)

@Tickkety boo aka boo

"Do you have any records for Joseph which would give at least a ball park figure for his year of birth? Do you have him on any census returns to pin down the last time you know he was still alive to narrow down his death year and where he was last recorded as living?

If you can shed some light on the above, then that will help.

I know he was married to Elizabeth Carruthers on August 7 1820 in Berwick upon tweed, england, I did find a listing for a baptism for a Joseph Weatherhead baptised on December 13, 1791-parents John Weatherhead and Isabel Hope, but I can't be sure it's him...this was found in the same church records as the wedding banns for Joseph Weatherhead...I know he was a mariner

Again thank you all for your help! I plan on going to the provincial archives soon to check on ship records..I am lucky enough the archives are located in my city so that part of the journey I can definitely do on my own..I just hadn't realized that they had ship records for that time. Is there anything else I should be looking for there? that would give me some info? on when Elizabeth Jane came over from England and if William Wagner was with her?

Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
The surviving records for Tynemouth workhouse are held in Newcastle archives
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 19 January 17 11:32 GMT (UK) »
The Rootschatter I asked to do a look uo (Take a bow C-side and thank you!) has come up trumps yet again.
Here are the marriage details

Christchurch, Tynemouth, 17th April 1871 by licence

Anthony William Wagner, Bachelor of full age, Sailor, of this parish.  Father George Wagner, Farmer
Elizabeth Jane Weatherhead, Spinster of full age, of this parish.  Father James Weatherhead, Sailor

Anthony signed, Elizabeth made her mark

Witnesses:  Ann (?) Peterson, Robert Pine

The really odd thing about this record is that the brides surname was badly written on all three occasions to the point where I would not have known it said Weatherhead unless I was primed to see it that way.  It did, in fact, look like Weatshead.  The rest of the writing was not like that??

Given that they were married by licence I then checked the licences via Family Search and the licence image can be seen/ downloaded here :

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jb9/

No new info but its a nice thing to have to add to your family records.

Boo

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 19 January 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Re the baptism record you found for Joseph Weatherhead in Berwick in 1791, I agree that it might be hard to prove that he is the Joseph you are looking for.

I note that there are actually two transcriptions for Joseph on Familysearch - one for Joseph Weatherhead and one for Joseph Weatherhead or Hope. Now the latter is often an indication of illegitimacy. Looking at the actual image in the Berwick Bt's (it is image 159) the entry says " Dec 13 Joseph son of John Weatherhead and Isabel Hope (Born 10th)".

The entry immediately above states Dec 11 Ann daughter of James and Ann Mills (born Nov 22nd)... and the one below Dec 18th Robert Nisbet Son of William and Margaret Weatherhead (born 4th).

Now while it does not come outright and say it I think I know the conclusion that I would arrive at from the above - just something to bear in mind if doing further searches for these people.

William

Ps Good work C- Side! I  had a great day in the archives when I was on holiday in Warkworth last year. Just wish I lived nearer to visit on a regular basis.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)