Author Topic: Portlaw marriage in 1831  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Portlaw marriage in 1831
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 January 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »

Offline dobbin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 January 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann
Thank you so much for your help. I' ve got it as Arthur and Catherine too now, the other paper I have I now see its probably Arthurus (Latin) or similar (and Catherina). I would never have got the priest though thank you. Can I also ask you, do you know this - am I right in what I have now read that  this is  St Nicholas  Church built circa 1822 and not St Patricks which was built circa 1858 or was there an earlier church on the site of st Patricks. I cannot see anything on the link but I could be missing where it is.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
It depends where they were from Portlaw or Ballyduff the marriage has no address.
The OSI mapviewer has a RC Church in Porlaw on the 6" 1829-41 map
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,646767,614440,11,8
and have a larger named church on the same site on the 25" 1887 to 1913 map
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,646767,614440,11,9

Offline dobbin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann, thank you for your help on this, that's great, much appreciated.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 January 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann
Thank you so much for your help. I' ve got it as Arthur and Catherine too now, the other paper I have I now see its probably Arthurus (Latin) or similar (and Catherina). I would never have got the priest though thank you. Can I also ask you, do you know this - am I right in what I have now read that  this is  St Nicholas  Church built circa 1822 and not St Patricks which was built circa 1858 or was there an earlier church on the site of st Patricks. I cannot see anything on the link but I could be missing where it is.

You are making an assumption, that they were married in church. Not necessarily a good assumption at that date.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 January 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
The word after Bridget Flangan seems to be most of them, think it could be abbreviated Latin for witnesses

It is "Test", a contraction of 'Testis" or "Testes", the Latin for witness/witnesses.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area