Author Topic: Hospital in Blackrock in 1920s  (Read 2672 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hospital in Blackrock in 1920s
« on: Saturday 07 January 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In a death record of 1922, registered in Rathdown, the place of death is "S. S. Hospital, Blackrock".  Does anyone know what the "S. S." stands for?

Dermo
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital in Blackrock in 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 January 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
The only Hospital I know of in Blackrock was St Patrick's, near Temple Hill, for babies awaiting fostering/adoption when I knew it in 1950s onwards.

EDIT: there's St John of God Mental Hospital on the Stillorgan Road - could have been part of Blackrock? And a St john of God Special School in "Obelisk Park" in the same area - no idea when these started. (it looks as if this started up in 1923 see
 http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/physical-landscape/man-and-the-landscape-in/obelisks/
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 January 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Was it a TB death? There were lots of smaller TB hospitals all over the place.

The librarians upstairs in Pearse St. library may do a look up of their Thom's collection if they are not busy. I have always found them very responsive to email.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies. I will check Thom's. As far as I know it was not a TB hospital - at least, that was not the cause of death in this case.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Leopardstown Park Hospital is very close to Blackrock and as a child I heard it referred to as catering for Soldiers and Sailors who'd served in the war.

See http://www.lph.ie/history.php

Cheers

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 17 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Great find LH. I searched for soldiers and sailors hospital blackrock and got this:

http://www.soccerintheboro.com/blackrock-hospital.php

Suggests it was on Carysfort Avenue?
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I checked in Thom's 1922 and the only hospital I found in Blackrock was the Military Orthopaedic Hospital in Carysfort Avenue.  It occurred to me that the "S. S." in the death record might stand for Soldiers and Sailors and refer to this hospital.  Dublin1850, I think your find confirms that. Many thanks. My googling for "soldiers and sailors" didn't turn that up.  As it happens, however, from further research I found that  the death record with the hospital reference was not for the relative I thought it referred to - just another former soldier of the same name and implied birth year!

Offline Whitemill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 June 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Dermo,
I have my grandfathers medical records from 1919 when he was a patient at ' The Military SPECIAL SURGICAL Hospital, Blackrock' . It may be that the SS on the death certificate is an abreviation of this.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
From the Weekly Freeman's Journal, 17 November 1923: To commemorate Armistice Day Requiem Mass was celebrated at St. John's Blackrock, by the Rev. E. O'Gorman, C.C., for the patients and staff of the Special Surgical Hospital, Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock.