Author Topic: Year of document  (Read 740 times)

Offline telmark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Year of document
« on: Sunday 08 January 17 18:34 GMT (UK) »
"At Edinburgh the twenty two day of December ***** ***** one years and of the reign of their majesties William And Mary to the Grace of God King and Queen of Great Britain, France and *****
....  the third year"

I think its 1691 but can't be sure.

Any help gratefully received.

Offline James18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Year of document
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 January 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Logically the last word would be Ireland, as it was a separate crown to England and Scotland - France was claimed (de jure) until the reign of George III.
Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 January 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Telmark, and welcome to RootsChat  :)

Yes, it’s 1691.

Att Edinburgh the Twenty two day of December JajvjC nyntie one years and of the Reigne of their
Ma(ies)ties William and Mary be the grace of God King and Queen of great Britaine France and Ire-
land defenders of the Faith The Third year

Jaj = 1000
vjC = 600
nyntie one = 91
the 3rd year of William & Mary = Feb 1691 to Feb 1692

http://www.scottishhandwriting.com/cmDat.asp

Offline telmark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for confirming (I was just basing it on William and Mary). The document itself relates to matters from 1656, which is confusing me. I will plod on with trying to sort this out.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Does it perhaps include a recitation of the terms of a lease, or property transfer, or other agreement dating from 1656? Feel free to ask again if you need more help.

Offline telmark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, so would that mean end of lease document?

Original document was done in 1656 when one cousin gave lands (about 130 acres) and a (small) 'town', 21 'hogs' (I take it young sheep), a horse to plough the fields etc to another of his cousins. This document went into incredible detail as to brothers, cousins, parents, grandparents and great grandfather.

By 1684 (the person I believe to be) my 7th great grandfather was shown as the portioner of the town named in the 1656 document (If this is the case I have his father, grandfather and great grandfathers names as well as brothers, cousins, uncles etc). He than moved and was in another village in 1692 before moving to a farm by 1694. (my 6th great grandfather was born about 1692, according to other church records, before BMDs existed in that area.)

There is another document which goes into detail of monies that are divided between the family. I can date this as after 1669 as that was the year one of the women married, and it mentions her husband by name (and trade as a tobacco cutter). That marriage certificate exists as it was in another parish. This document is undated, but gives the authors age as "about 60", it would seem he was the cousin from 1656 who had the lands.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, so would that mean end of lease document?

I think a transfer of lease would be more common than an end of lease, but it's hard to say without seeing the exact wording and all the detail, sorry. These deeds can be incredibly complicated. Maybe when you've completed it all will become clear?

Offline telmark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Its entertaining trying to work it out, and I know more documents exist in regards to this. Its just frustrating trying to translate it sometimes.

If I ever do work through it, and I can tie this up, it would take me back to the 1500's and I can say enough.