Author Topic: Quaker records on subscription sites  (Read 3610 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Quaker records on subscription sites
« on: Monday 09 January 17 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I am still searching for Quaker ancestors. 

I have subscriptions to Ancestry and FindMyPast but are there other sites which have different Quaker records?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Quaker records on subscription sites
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 17 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe any other sites have further information - I'm sure somebody will be along soon to either confirm or deny. These records are from TNA and represent the registers handed over to the Register Office in the 1840s. There are other records - I've found a birth record at Bristol RO where a fiche of a Quaker digest is held. Other record offices may have some too. If in doubt it might be worth contacting the Quaker FHS who I'm sure would know,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and suggestion.  I will investigate further...............
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
1848 Distress in Ireland. Third Report of the London Committee, with List of Subscriptions.

Many Quakers are named, who donated ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0kcNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=%22Herbert+Camm+Dickinson%22&source=bl&ots=GZiC-FPf0Z&sig=URMdJlHbPov6ke62g-z7wa4dAw8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP5-zp-rDRAhXm64MKHfpmAtIQ6AEIGjAA

Got a feeling that some Quakers are tucked away, amongst their Meeting records in UK Archives (some Yorkshire, at Hull; Leeds University Spec. Coll.)

https://www.quaker.org.uk/resources/library

What is the name of your Quaker & death town & year?

Regards Mark

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 17 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for VAUS births pre 1750 in London or Surrey.  I've found plenty of burials but few marriages or births.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link Mark - I have found an 1892 notice of sale of furnishings of a house where my 7 x g.grandfather a Quaker ancestor of mine lived.  The family name was the same so sometime I'll work my way backwards from 1892 to see how it links with my 7 x g.grandfather who died in 1683.  I know his granddaughter was my 5 x g.grandmother but I've not researched any of her uncles - as far as I know she didn't have any brothers.

Offline mutchall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 March 17 01:32 GMT (UK) »
found using 'vaux OR vaus OR faus quaker filetype:pdf'

In 1807 Thomas Scattergood, a Quaker minister and leading quietist who had traveled extensively throughout the United States and the British Isles, formed the Philadelphia Association of Friends for the Instruction of Poor Children. The following year the association—all of whom were members of the Society of Friends—established the Adelphi School for the poor and black children of Philadelphia. By employing the cost- effective Lancasterian method that used older children to teach younger ones, the school captured the interest of other Quaker reformers. One of these, Roberts Vaux, an evangelically oriented Friend, was so inspired by his work for this institution that he later spearheaded the movement to create a system of free public education in Philadelphia.

https://journals.psu.edu/pmhb/article/viewFile/44899/44620

68 Samuel Vaus (b. 1648), or Vaux, a London Quaker, was Penn's agent there at this time. PWP, 5:479n.

https://journals.psu.edu/pmhb/article/viewFile/44453/44174

The old Baptist meeting at Pennepack appears to have been the first permanent establishment of that profession in Pennsylvania. About 1686 there settled on the banks of Pennepack, John Eaton, Geo Eaton and wife, Sarah Eaton, and Samuel Jones, from Wales; John Baker from Ireland, and Samuel Vaus from England, all of them Baptists. The next year the famous preacher Elias Keach came among them; and baptised Joseph Ashton and wife, William Fisher and John Watts—who with those before mentioned, did in 1688, by mutual consent, form themselves into a church, choosing Mr. Keach to be their minister, and Samuel Vaus to be deacon. Keach, it appears returned to England in 1692.

http://www.holmesburg.com/history/1819-60hbg.pdf

DAILY LIFE UNDER DURESS: RICHARD VAUX, A PHILADELPHIA TEXTILE MERCHANT AND HIS BUSINESS, 1777-1790 1
Marisa A. Morra

Richard Vaux was a Philadelphia merchant who sold textiles during and immediately after the Revolution. His story may be told as the biography of a Quaker merchant and businessman. But his story has more to offer. It may, more importantly, shed light on the merchant profession itself, for it is possible to show how this man's personal life influenced the goods he distributed to the American market.

The Revolutionary period, when Vaux reached the peak of his business activity, has traditionally been considered a "transitional" period, and has not been the focus of much recent material culture scholarship. 2 This period, between 1777 and 1790, had unusual constraints and characteristics that need to be isolated, particularly for how they affected businessmen like Richard Vaux.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1578&context=tsaconf

Offline mutchall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 March 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Quaker Communities in London, 1667-c1714
http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?uin=uk.bl.ethos.431027

(Free Registration)

Quakers around Shoreditch
http://studymore.org.uk/quasho.htm

The London Friends' meetings: showing the rise of the Society of Friends in London, its progress and the development of its discipline, with accounts of the various meeting-houses and burial-grounds, their history and general associations
by Beck, William, 1823-1907; Ball, Thomas Frederick
https://archive.org/details/londonfriendsmee00beck

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 March 17 02:20 GMT (UK) »
The Genealogist has Quaker Registers 1578-1841.
There is also  BMD Registers: bmdregisters.co.uk
Cowban