Author Topic: Death in early 1990's, what info is available?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death in early 1990's, what info is available?
« on: Monday 09 January 17 08:35 GMT (UK) »
If someone died in 1991, and if the Supreme Court of New South Wales says their is no record of grant probate, & if the NSW Trustee and Guardian says their is no Will, what records would their be regarding their death (other than a death cert and newspaper death/funeral notices)

Surely there would have to be some sort of available record of what happen when they died?

Any ideas?
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Death in early 1990's, what info is available?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

If your person of interest died in NSW in the 1990s then there would be a registration of the death recorded in the registers of the NSW BDM.   The NSW BDM online indexes restrict listing any details of a death registration for the first 30 years after the death, in other words, members of the general public cannot access the death certificate until 30 years have elapsed since the death, so the online index DOES NOT DISPLAY death registration details until those 30 years have passed.

You already know the person's name and the year of death (NSW Supreme Court would have needed name to process any enquiry), what further information are you seeking?   Have you found the cemetery/crematorium details, or any newspaper announcement re the funeral?

You don't explain why you are seeking further information about your person of interest - may I ask if you have contacted your own living family members to ask them what they know about your shared ancestor who died in NSW in 1991.   It is important to remember that death duties no longer applied, (abolished in NSW from 1 Jan 1982), and that a deceased estate does not need to be probated, nor does a will need to be lodged with the NSW Guardian.  Many deceased estates are effectively administered without any court actions when the executors/administrators follow the rules set out in NSW Statute law.   Here is a live link to a 'how to' book about current practices, it is available via the NSW State Library's 'legal answers' section.  http://www.legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/guides/wills_estates/index.html   There are many many many NSW deceased estates where the executor/trix and/or administrator does not seek to have the estate probated.

If someone died in 1991, and if the Supreme Court of New South Wales says their is no record of grant probate, & if the NSW Trustee and Guardian says their is no Will, what records would their be regarding their death (other than a death cert and newspaper death/funeral notices)
Surely there would have to be some sort of available record of what happen when they died?
Any ideas?

Here is the live link to RChat's NSW Resources board : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

Have you searched for a Probate notice in the newspapers?   Perhaps there's a notice in the Sydney Morning Herald's legal notices section.   If so, it should include his legal names, and possibly any informal names, as well as the name of the firm of solicitors who may be seeking to act on behalf of his nearest known next of kin, and of course the name of that next of kin.

You can access the Sydney Morning Herald 1955-1995 :  http://archives.smh.com.au/index.php 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 02:34 GMT (UK) »

Sorry to sound unsympathetic but if someone has died with a normal diagnosis e.g. Heart failure or similar, what need would there be to have it written in newspapers or similar?

If the cause of death was through an accident then yes it may have been in the press?

I'm curious as to your need to know such specific details as you haven't mentioned whether you think it may have been an accident/murder or similar?

Even then, it won't give you chapter & verse of the cause of death?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 03:58 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for your reply JM...

Hi there,

If your person of interest died in NSW in the 1990s then there would be a registration of the death recorded in the registers of the NSW BDM.   The NSW BDM online indexes restrict listing any details of a death registration for the first 30 years after the death, in other words, members of the general public cannot access the death certificate until 30 years have elapsed since the death, so the online index DOES NOT DISPLAY death registration details until those 30 years have passed.

That (the death cert) is in the process of being ordered.

You already know the person's name and the year of death (NSW Supreme Court would have needed name to process any enquiry), what further information are you seeking?

Let me re-phrase my initial question, my apologies, I dont think I posted it well,  What happens to someones belongings when they die, given that Supreme Court of NSW says their is no record of grant probate, & the NSW Trustee and Guardian says their is no Will, what else could be followed up on to find out?

Have you found the cemetery/crematorium details, or any newspaper announcement re the funeral?

The funeral details have been found but they haven't helped towards the re-phrased post I made.

may I ask if you have contacted your own living family members to ask them what they know about your shared ancestor who died in NSW in 1991.

Close family do not know, and most avenues have been exhausted, thats why i've posted here.

Perhaps there's a notice in the Sydney Morning Herald's legal notices section.   

Nothing there at all.

Given that I have changed the way I wrote my first post, does that make it a little clearer?

Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 04:06 GMT (UK) »
"Let me re-phrase my initial question, my apologies, I dont think I posted it well,  What happens to someones belongings when they die, given that Supreme Court of NSW says their is no record of grant probate, & the NSW Trustee and Guardian says their is no Will, what else could be followed up on to find out?"

Thanks for your change of words as it makes all the difference  :)

Death cert. will clarify informant & if a close family member/next of kin, all belongings would be given to them, simple/normal procedure I would assume in any country?

Annie

Added, The cert. wont tell you if the person is NoK though.

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Death cert. will clarify informant & if a close family member/next of kin, all belongings would be given to them, simple/normal procedure I would assume in any country?

I've done a bit of phoning around and other avenues I can try is phoning the local hospital and non- emergency police, and wait for death cert to arrive. (although death cert isnt guaranteed of giving info about whom has the right to their things) Apparently i've done quite a bit of research already and covered most areas according to trustee and guardian when I phoned. (they asked lots questions)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Did the person in question die with no one identified as NOK? for example in Salvation Army care where NOK was not known/recorded. Usually those institutions attempt to trace NOK. Often belongings are held for a period of time, and may then be donated to charity, eg clothing, furniture, bric-a-brac, etc. Details of items may also recorded in a register.
What type of assets are in question? Money? Personal items? Property?
Unclaimed money may be held by the government. There is a search facility and those funds can be claimed by NOK.
https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/tools-and-resources/find-unclaimed-money/money-held-by-state-governments
http://www.smh.com.au/national/87-million-of-unclaimed-inheritance-up-for-grabs-20091005-gjlp.html

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 05:03 GMT (UK) »
That sounds promising but I guess, depending on your relationship & answers whether they feel you have an 'entitlement' to the info. & probably they will look further into it prior to a further reply & confirmation of the procedure etc. at the time.

Annie

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 05:51 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the person owned real property, where you know the address, whether a land title search could help: http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/land_titles/access_titling_info.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)