Author Topic: Ancestry "Sherlock" mail shot  (Read 3315 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry "Sherlock" mail shot
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 02:38 GMT (UK) »
It would appear they don't like me, as I have not received any such email :'( :'(

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 03:08 GMT (UK) »
"On our Facebook page we’re posting family mysteries that have unravelled and need solving. You can help by responding with new leads on where to continue the search on Ancestry. "

It appears that Ancestry wants me to provide unpaid labour that they will doubtless advertise as a feature of their service.

;D Hmm, Bugbear  ???  ;D  ;D

Do they not advertise with a slogan along the lines of....Just type in your family name to find your ancestors   ::)

Looks like their slogan has been found to be UNTRUE  :P

So now it looks like they are headhunting genealogy addicts to promote themselves with as you say 'unpaid labour'  :o

They've shot themselves in the foot as far as I can see as there are many things which were on their uk site which were viewable but now needs a higher priced sub or a separate cost/sub?

Instead of putting their prices up, they need to speculate to accumulate i.e. reduce subs or make them all worldwide at a decent price & everyone would be happy.

"In terms of genealogists helping each other for free, I'll stay on the best free, public site - ROOTSCHAT!"

Love it!!!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 03:12 GMT (UK) »
It would appear they don't like me, as I have not received any such email :'( :'(

Probably in alphabetical order so time yet to receive your personal 'invitation'  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Don't like me either AC.

Claire there is no mystery disappearance of Robert McKay.  He is my cousin and I know exactly where he is.   ;D
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 07:25 GMT (UK) »
They obviously don't like me either!!  ;D > ;D.

Do I care??  Yeah - Nah!! 

What a cheek they have!! 👎👎👎
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 07:52 GMT (UK) »

They've shot themselves in the foot as far as I can see as there are many things which were on their uk site which were viewable but now needs a higher priced sub or a separate cost/sub?

What do you believe has been removed from the uk site? I haven't noticed anything not available that I've always used, but there again maybe I had no recourse to look at them in the first place.

Simon

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Latest on Facebook -  Ancestry Sherlock-related post:

"Benedict Cumberbatch related to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle"

Click the link and it turns out they're 16th cousins, both descended from John of Gaunt. Yeah, them and about a million others. Puh-lease!
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
What do you believe has been removed from the uk site? I haven't noticed anything not available that I've always used, but there again maybe I had no recourse to look at them in the first place.
Not sure if it's just me, but it seems that military records, which used to be included, now are on 'fold3' which you have to subscribe to.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it's just me, but it seems that military records, which used to be included, now are on 'fold3' which you have to subscribe to.

A quick check, for an ancestor I've previoiusly downloaded military records for, shows the records still available on my sub.

I have a "premium" 12 month subscription to ancestry UK. I note that and "essential" scubscription would not give you access to military records (or parish records, come to that).

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk