Author Topic: Ancestry "Sherlock" mail shot  (Read 3322 times)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry "Sherlock" mail shot
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I was looking at an Ancestry tree which included my 3xgreat grandfather.  On the owner's profile it says he's willing to help others. Problem is that the "mother " dies 200 years before he is born.
 Is that the sort of "help" they want, or will expect us to pay for!!
rayard.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
What do you believe has been removed from the uk site? I haven't noticed anything not available that I've always used, but there again maybe I had no recourse to look at them in the first place.
Not sure if it's just me, but it seems that military records, which used to be included, now are on 'fold3' which you have to subscribe to.

Yes Josey, that's one of them
Immigration & Travel have had changes since then.

There were others & I can't remember now as I changed mine to worldwide a lot of years ago because of the changes but don't have worldwide now.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think that most of you must have missed the Ancestry mailshot around late Nov/early Dec last year which suggested that if you had a brickwall you just couldn't solve then to load the info on their Ancestry Facebook page and they would try and resolve it for you over the Christmas period.

I must admit I was taken in by this and posted details of a brickwall, that I have already posted here, thinking that the professionals at Ancestry were turning their hands to some detective work.

However, I assume that what is actually happening, is that they are now simply reposting some of the mysteries that were posted then in the hope that others who see their Facebook page will take up the challenge rather than Ancestry themselves.  In other words trying to create something like this forum.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether they will be less enthusiastic about their new venture if the mysteries are mainly solved by reference to F M P records  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

As to the fold3 records, I do have a worldwide subs but couldn't access the fold3 ones.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

As to the fold3 records, I do have a worldwide subs but couldn't access the fold3 ones.

I don't understand what "fold3" is. All the military records (including service records, medals, pension details) that I have come straight from ancestry.co.uk, via normal searching.

Can someone explain?

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

I don't understand what "fold3" is. All the military records (including service records, medals, pension details) that I have come straight from ancestry.co.uk, via normal searching.

Can someone explain?

BugBear

I think this goes to Fold3 - other marine records I tried certainly have

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j9d/

ADDED
It now appears to go back to TNA web site.  I know that at one point recently I was trying to look at this record and it was telling me I needed a sub to Fold 3.  I have just checked the other Royal Marine record that I was trying to look at and that is also now going bact to TNA.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

Can someone explain?

BugBear

I think this goes to Fold3 - other marine records I tried certainly have

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j9d/

It's a link to the National Archive site.  :)

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
This goes to fold3 which then asks for membership. My Ancestry worldwide subs login details do not access the site.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON