Author Topic: Jane Stuart died Corkbeg 1908  (Read 1832 times)

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Stuart died Corkbeg 1908
« on: Monday 09 January 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
My great grandparents, William and Jane Stuart are shown on the 1901 census as living in Corkbeg.  By 1911 William is living with his daughter in Dublin, so Jane died in between.  I recently found a poorly reproduced death announcement in the Dublin Daily Express for 17 April 1908 which appears to be for Jane, giving her maiden name, Scott, and address as Memberton in Corkbeg, verified in Guy's Directory for 1907.  However, despite the excellent website records of irishgenealogy.ie I cannot find a death certificate although i have used every permutation of name and area possible.  Are any records missing from this website (I have emailed but no reply) or do I have to assme that the death was not registered which would be strange as all other family events seem to be recorded. Any help gratefully received, thanks
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Stuart died Corkbeg 1908
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 17 14:12 GMT (UK) »
For reference
LINK to census return
Jane aged 57 then implies aged 64 in 1908; bearing in mind ages can be out based on the knowledge of the informant

It may be that the death wasn't registered - I have found a few recently, one as late as 1965 for which I have a death notice and a grave location but he GRO cannot locate

I'll have a look and see
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I searched and can't find a death that matches.
I see Jane was born in Tipperary in the 1901 Census (Ireland)
Have a look at this....
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_East/Serpentine_Avenue/41877/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000117501/
I think it's an error, should be wife and married for 35 years.
The one I saw for 1908 was Castlederg this is not in Cork, it's Tyrone and another in Sligo but aged 82.
Let me know what you think.
I can't see the William in 1911 with the daughter, was she married then?
Ok
Maggsie

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both.  The 1911 census entry in Dublin is incorrect as the Jane listed is his daughter, not his wife as you say.  I have checked with historicgraves.ie and cannot find a grave for Jane in the Corkbeg cemetery even though other family members are buried there, nor in Mount Jerome in Dublin on igp.ie, other family members buried there too.  Think I will have to agree with 'myluck' and assume the death was not registered. Regards

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Is this William's death in 1912? LINK
Just he is shown as married and the informant being a daughter named Alice Jane IRWIN if correct

Alice Jane STEWART m William George IRWIN Oct 9 1894 Dungarvan - LINK
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
No, according to his RIC record, William died in 1916; daughter Jane on the 1911 census married in 1918 (a month after her new husband's first wife died - oops) and died in 1923. Thanks

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 17 20:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

From my knowledge of death registrations it is extremely rare for a person who is Church of Ireland  not to have their death registered.

I had a good look at the www.irishgenealogy.ie website and also the www.familysearch.org site and think I may have found a death registered for a Mary Jane Stuart.   I felt she may not have died in Cork and might have been staying in Dublin.   With this in mind I did find a death registered in 1909 in Dublin South.    Dublin South district would tie in with the address of William & Jeanie Scott Stuart in  1911 ( living at Serpentine Avenue, Ballsbridge - South Dublin).

I could be wrong  but it looks promising.   A death need not be registered immediately and registering a death a year later often happened.    The age is out by a couple of years based on Jane being  57 in 1901  she should be 63 or 64 ,depending on month of birth.  in  1908 .

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Ajane~%20%2Bsurname%3Astuart~%20%2Bdeath_year%3A1907-1909~%20%2Brecord_country%3AIreland

You could order a photocopy cert ( a photocopy for genealogy purposes ) for €4  from the General Registers Office, Convent Road, Roscommon.   

I checked for Mary Jane Stuart on the Irish genealogy site and nothing comes up for her.

Hope this helps.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »

... I had a good look at the www.irishgenealogy.ie website and also the www.familysearch.org site and think I may have found a death registered for a Mary Jane Stuart.   I felt she may not have died in Cork and might have been staying in Dublin.   With this in mind I did find a death registered in 1909 in Dublin South ....

Not her (widow):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1909/05453/4525885.pdf

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »