Author Topic: Help !  (Read 1718 times)

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help !
« on: Monday 09 January 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
After many years of searching for our nans birth and place of birth I have at last proof of her family being in Greater Grimsby at the time of her birth. Her father worked for the railway and the family had moved from area to area over a number of years until they settled in Derby. All of my nans siblings births have been registered at their time of birth but not nans. She had always told us she was born in Grimsby but after she died we could not find a birth certificate. Since then we have found her and her siblings of various ages all being baptised together in Derby nan being 11yrs old at that time and census records stating she was born in Grimsby. We had been able to pinpoint her family over many years at various places but could not until now prove that they had been in Grimsby at the time of nans birth. Through a news paper clipping of her father being fined for not having a dog license in Grimsby 1896 and also an address with him on in the electoral register for that time also we have proof of the Grimsby connection but how can I now try to find her birth reg when all other attempts have failed. My nans name was Jessie Louise Churchyard her date of birth given 12th Aug 1895.  Her father was Alfred James Churchyard born 1862/3 Yoxford her mother was Sarah Louise Churchyard nee Coldham born about 1867 West Dereham. The address in Grimsby was 24 Dover Street , West Marsh Grimsby. They had left Grimsby by 1897 and moved to Notts him still working for the railway as a signal man at that time. Any idea's anyone please.
Churchyard biggleswade and bedford
Currie galashiels and Selkirk
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help !
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 register also has her birthday as 12 August, but her year of birth as 1894:-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

1901 has them in Derby, he was a "Brewer's Drayman"
Family name transcribed as "Churchard"

I notice that Jessie's mother married as Louisa Sarah Coldham, 1886 Holborn

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 January 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 register also has her birthday as 12 August, but her year of birth as 1894:-\

Her death registration also suggests she was born 12 Aug 1894.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Whoops yes 1894 and yes her father did work as a brewers drayman also he was still employed by the railway in 1907/8 when they lived at Old Uttoxceter Rd in Derby . On some of nans siblings birth certificates her mothers forenames alternate sometimes Louise first sometimes Sarah though she was always called by the name Sarah apparently. Thanks
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 January 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Was she, by any chance, born before her parents married so that her birth registration is in the maiden name of her mother?

Offline daisy59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 January 17 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie fraid not they were all born after her parents had married we have all the other certificates and marriage license nan was the third to be born ( think I have that right.) Thanks for all interest in this.
Jones menai Anglesey
Halls Norfolk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 January 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I only have a couple of suggestions.

1. That as her mum came from Holborn in London, it could be that she was visiting relatives and went into labour and your gran was born in Holborn and they registered the birth there or they returned to Grimsby and thought they couldn't register the birth there and didn't want to return to London.

2. Or perhaps your gran or her mum were ill around the time of birth and they just forgot to register her birth.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 January 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

[ Agree with LizzieW ]
Could be very simple, everyone thought that someone else . . . . .

Would you publish FULL details of the marriage?

Her father . . . . . "also he was still employed by the railway in 1907/8"
needs explanation/documented proof? On what do you base the comment?

If she was born "Holborn", yes, it is more than possible that her birth was not registered "correctly".
So are we saying that "Jessie" went all thru her life without needing to legally prove who she was?

How do you know that her real name wasn't "Harriet Jessie Louise. . . . ."

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).