Author Topic: Thomas Vernon Begbie 1841 - 1915  (Read 4007 times)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Vernon Begbie 1841 - 1915
« on: Tuesday 10 January 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone researched the above Edinburgh based photographer and lapidary? I am trying to pin down the date of his birth. I am also interested on whether he continued his career as a lapidary throughout his life, with photography being a rather limited involvement - both his sons went into the jewellery trade. I am also interested in establishing why he named one of his sons Alexander McGlashon Begbie - is there a family reason?.

I am aware that there is some information on the web and a book of photographs was published in 1992. However I am sceptical of some of the "facts" stated in these resources and therefore I am hoping that someone who has done family research might have more accurate information
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Vernon Begbie 1841 - 1915
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
You probably have, but just checking you have been in touch with ....
http://lapidary.org.uk/smlc-history/

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have the 1841 Census?

James Square,
Edinburgh St Cuthbert, Midlothian
William Begbie, 30, Lapidary
Jane Begbie, 25
THOS Begbie, 1
Whellemina Russell, 15, Female Servant
All born Midlothian

William BEGBIE married Jane Elizabeth VERNON, 13 May 1839, Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Brides Father was THOMAS Vernon
(Familysearch.Org)

Seems the liked to rehash Family Names.
Thomas V's Brother Harker John (or John Harker) Gilman Begbie named a Daug Jane Elizabeth Vernon Begbie in 1877.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Most probably have this as well marriage of his parents
William Begbie
Jane Elizabeth Vernon
13 May 1839 Edinburgh Parish

1841 Census address James Square Edinburgh
William Begbie age 30 ( lapidary )
Jane Begbie age 25
Thos Begbie age 1
Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Trish had started posting  :)
Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Few tree's on An****y has a birth date of 3 June 1840 although not seeing any record if you do have access ..You could maybe contact them to see where they got the date from
Rosie

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the various responses. My suspicion is that the 1840 birth date may have been arrived at by deducting one year from the age 1 given for him in the 1841 census, carried out in June 1841; other documents would suggest an 1841 birth date. I don't now have access to the web site mentioned and I have in the past found many of the trees there to be wildly wrong, with even my own parents appearing in the most unlikely of places!

Part of my interest in Begbie is that I believe that the photographs discovered in 1950 which were attributed to him are in fact by the much more prominent Edinburgh photographer Alexander McGlashon, hence my interest as to why Begbie gave his son these names. I also think it is likely that as his sons were in the jewellery trade that Thomas Begbie himself was in this trade but so far I cannot prove this. It is however clear from contemporary Victorian records that he almost certainly had at best limited success as a photographer.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline shipsbroker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Was TVB related to the Begbie mentioned in Burns Poem the Ordination? Begbie the innkeeper lived in Kilmarnock.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shipsbroker. As I haven't researched Begbie's ancestors I don't know if there is an Ayrshire connection. Certainly it is not a common name so it is possible, although we do know that his parents were Edinburgh based.

I have trawled through Victorian newspapers trying to find references to Thomas Begbie but have found nothing, other than a Post Ofiice Directory advert in the 1870s for his photographic business. He is an elusive figure.