Author Topic: Find My Past Subscription  (Read 9918 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past Subscription
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 January 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Something to consider - if sites such as FindMyPast and Ancestry stopped all these free weekends and 1 for a month offers,  could they then lower the price of their subscriptions?

I wonder how many people who used to subscribe have decided that with so many reduced offers it isn't worth paying for a year? I know that it has made me think about stopping my subs, as I seem to be paying a fortune for records that, if I was happy to wait for, I could probably get for just a few pounds a year. Obviously the idea is to entice people in and then hope they will take out a full sub, but from the way people talk on here about waiting for the next offer, I doubt if that happens much.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 January 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I've stopped subscribing because of the free offers.  At them moment I have FindMyPast for 1 and Ancestry was 3 months for the price of 1month.  When I was asked why I was leaving the site I told them it was too expensive.  The sent me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Canary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
I was a subscriber for at least five years until May 2017. I was offered a 15% discount to renew but my research had come to a temporary halt and, given all the offers, discounts etc, I decided not to take it up.  I was then sent an email asking why I'd quit.  Their best offer remained the 15% discount and they said that existing subscribers always got the best offers. When I suggested that did not always appear to be the case, the emails stopped!  For now I can manage perfectly well using Ancestry in my local library. ;D

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 September 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
Just found my subscription expired last month :(

Anyone know of any current offers before I pay full price?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 September 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone would be interested in this for Ancestry but i used it a couple of weeks ago and as far as i am aware people are still using it now UK premium for 59.99 and then Worldwide for 89.99 for 12 months? It does say new subscribers only but as long as your subscription has ran out you can use it!

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe?dna=crossAct&o_iid=70089&o_lid=70089&o_sch=Web%20Property
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 September 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Lisa,  I've just got a year for 59.99 instead of 119. 

I'm well chuffed.

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 September 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
No problem Carol I got it from a Facebook group and apparently it's been on for months so was chuffed myself when I got it!  ;D every little helps in this hobby!
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 September 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa, I've checked on Ancestry and my sub is due to be renewed towards the end of November.  I can't see how to stop annual renewal but as the credit card details they appear to be holding are wrong, my sub will run out.  When it has I intend to use the link you've given us.  Mind you I'll check a few days before my sub runs out just to make sure the link is still valid.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Hugs.............
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 September 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Ancestry sent me a worldwide renewal in August for 179-99 - I rang to see if they would offer the 25% discount as they had done for the previous 5 years but the operator was very arrogant and said he was not inclined to offer any discount since I had threatened to cancel the previous year.  So I was more than happy to cancel.  Luckily I found the offer of worldwide for 89.99 which was amazing  ;D  Couldn't believe my luck  ;)

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe?dna=crossAct

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada