Author Topic: Find My Past Subscription  (Read 16807 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past Subscription
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 28 September 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol  :)

I don't have family trees on mine but had wondered how you would continue to access them, that solves that question  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 23 November 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just tried FindMyPast and as I like the Newspaper Archive and I'm well stuck (and either way with 2 possibles) 230 years ago (one possibly due, to missing Presbyterian and other NC Chapel records), I felt I would need their Pro package to get the Newspaper Archive, so tried politely for a promotional discount or voucher code and her polite response was no.

Find My Past Pro
A single payment of £156 a year.

They claimed the one-off payment is already discounted, over the monthly cost.

I'll wait til they have a promotion.

It would have been handy, as I'm currently confined to bed most of the time, to rest a bad back.

Mark

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 23 November 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried using the "Try it for FREE" offer on here:-

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Blue

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 23 November 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
If you are located in the UK you may be able to access Gales newspapers archive at home via your local library service
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 23 November 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just tried FindMyPast and as I like the Newspaper Archive and I'm well stuck (and either way with 2 possibles) 230 years ago (one possibly due, to missing Presbyterian and other NC Chapel records), I felt I would need their Pro package to get the Newspaper Archive, so tried politely for a promotional discount or voucher code and her polite response was no.

Find My Past Pro
A single payment of £156 a year.

They claimed the one-off payment is already discounted, over the monthly cost.

I'll wait til they have a promotion.

It would have been handy, as I'm currently confined to bed most of the time, to rest a bad back.

Mark

Mark,

If all you need is the British newspapers, you should be able to access them with a Britain-only subscription to FindMyPast. I've accessed the newspapers with a one-month Britain-only subscription. You don't need a special Pro subscription, in my experience.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 23 November 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried using the "Try it for FREE" offer on here:-

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Blue

Hello Blue and Rosie

I was with British Newspaper Archive for many years, but my membership recently lapsed. Our Library has Ancestry and FindMyPast.

My Gale Library membership in an adjoining County stopped despite being a border town, because our local telephone exchange number has been routed via a City 8 miles in the other direction (thank you Buzby). Gale won't accept my telephone exchange, from my home, even though I have legitimate Library Membership both sides of the County Border.

Found in Newspapers my ancestors:- 1815 Marriage notice;  being Elected an Overseer of Poor 1838 (for which only the 1837 Election survives); Victim of a Highway Robery and left for dead but recovering 1842; his Father selling a stationary steam engine 1843; Various Family Marriage and Deaths notices; Property advertised for sale, which they had purchased (according to the Wakefield Deed Registers); a named Man dying at the Bar of their Dram Shop and some of their property being sold and a brief inquest 1870. One granted a School Placement by a Freemasons Charity and two winning the Diocesan prize for Teaching.

Newspapers are very difficult due to poor OCR and the above have been found with great patience over about 5 years or more.

I feel, we have about exhausted pay per view information online and my wife and I are exploring offline records in Archives, e.g. numerous Wills of my family name, Quaker Minutes offline (not in their BMD though), Manor records etc., which we shall continue, already with some success! But not enough success in Archives yet to confirm who my elusive ancestor really was.

Mark

Added; Thanks Josephine ...
I was trying to get a deal (both together).

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 24 November 17 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, Ancestry has only got offers on it's DNA product at the moment.  I was hoping to get a discount when I renew next week.  :'(  Chances are I'll renew and then they'll put out more offers.  Perhaps I'll wait until nearer to Christmas just in case there's a Christmas offer.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 24 November 17 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I got an email this morning from FindMyPast for 75% off one month world subscription.  Works out less than $5 here in Aus.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 24 November 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Added; Thanks Josephine ...
I was trying to get a deal (both together).

I feel like an idiot, but I still don't understand this, and would appreciate it if someone would kindly explain it to me just for future reference.

Was the hoped-for package deal to include subscriptions to both Ancestry and FindMyPast?

Thank you,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters