Author Topic: Find My Past Subscription  (Read 16839 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Find My Past Subscription
« Reply #45 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm out of the loop when it comes to subscriptions I've been going to the library instead. Out of curiosity I tried to view a newspaper record on FindMyPast and it showed me three different subscriptions:

-Starter
-Plus
-Pro

Above Plus it says Recommended however only Pro mentions newspapers, "Exclusive newspaper archive". Presumably Starter and Plus don't have newspaper access? There's not enough information about what you can access for each. Is there another more detailed description of each subscription?

Blue 

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Blue.

When I go to www.findmypast.co.uk and click on the subscribe button, I see options for World and Britain subscriptions.

When I go to www.findmypast.com, I see options for Premium and Starter subscriptions, and only the former offers newspaper access.

So maybe that explains my confusion; maybe it depends on which site you use to sign up.

If you sign up to a Britain subscription via FindMyPast.co.uk, it includes access to the British newspapers. If that's all anyone wants, then I'd recommend signing up via the .co.uk site, which is what I do.

I like to subscribe for a month at a time, either when they add new records sets of interest to me, or when I need to look someone up in the newspapers.

I tend to subscribe to www.newspapers.com for six months at a time because I get a lot of use out of their American newspapers.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a Lancashire library card that gives me home access to the Gale 19th century newspapers. If I remember right my free access to FindMyPast at the library does not include the newspapers so I think that's why I resort to the "Try it for FREE" offers on British Newspaper Archive site, a useful resource for 20th century newspapers.

Blue

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 24 November 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Added; Thanks Josephine ...
I was trying to get a deal (both together).

I feel like an idiot, but I still don't understand this, and would appreciate it if someone would kindly explain it to me just for future reference.

Was the hoped-for package deal to include subscriptions to both Ancestry and FindMyPast?

Thank you,
Josephine

Hi Josephine and All

Thanks.

No, just Find My Past and the Newspaper Archive. Looks like I went to .com site.

I'm not going ahead with a Subs., only records in Archives can help now. I've hit a thick stone wall at about 1785-86.

We were sailing along well, all the Census, all the Certificates, relations, plenty of newspaper references back to 1815. Everything tying up, then nothing, no Apprenticeship, no birth / baptism. Rootschatters found two predecessor possibles, who might link to him, but they left no Wills, one has a burial record, the other disappears, but neither have identifiable graves, nor M.I.s.

Tried numerous Wills & other records.

The one I'm stuck with, was refused Quaker Membership in the York Quaker Meeting Minutes of 1836 and buried by the Quakers in 1845 as "Not in Membership"! The Quakers gave the Burial site to the local Council. A recent visit revealed few headstones.

Mark

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 24 November 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Mark,

I wish you luck. It does get a lot more difficult the farther back we go.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 25 November 17 01:01 GMT (UK) »
My Gale Library membership in an adjoining County stopped despite being a border town, because our local telephone exchange number has been routed via a City 8 miles in the other direction (thank you Buzby). Gale won't accept my telephone exchange, from my home, even though I have legitimate Library Membership both sides of the County Border.

It may be worth a letter (not an email) showing your address & telephone number which would correspond with the area, keep a copy too.

Does this mean anyone who doesn't have a home phone can't get access?

Surely an address is more proof of anything rather than a phone no.  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I received the following in a RootsMagic newsletter early this morning, Obviously missed Black Friday but still valid until end of Monday.

"A couple of weeks ago Ancestry had a one day 50% off sale on subscriptions.  A lot of you told us that you didn't find out until it was over.  Well this time Ancestry is offering 50% off gift subscriptions over the Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend!  And if you are a new subscriber, or if your current Ancestry subscription renews in the next 90 days, you can use the gift subscription for yourself!"

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l3f/

Hope this is useful to some of you.

Jenny

Mods.. please move if this isn't the right board or has already been posted.

From my post on the lighter side
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 25 November 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if that will work with non US addresses as the prices are shown in dollars?  I'll try it out on Monday, my current sub runs out on Sunday.  If necessary I'll buy it in my husband's name and just use it on my laptop.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 25 November 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Apparently, you could try this

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/...ct&irpid=55537

but it only works if you permit your current subscription to lapse.  So if you follow the link and still have a current subscription (and are logged in) it won't show up properly.

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)