Author Topic: hurley/ doocey familly  (Read 11269 times)

Offline shels1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hurley/ doocey familly
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 03:24 BST (UK) »
No Ben was January 1907 and  George around Dec that  same year.
 When Annie Hurley got  married to Samuel leech in 1906 she was over 8 months pregnant.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 03:47 BST (UK) »
If you have all the BCs can you be more specific with the name she gives on each birth please?

I personally think you may be following the wrong family  ???

Can you give exactly the spellings for Annie's surname on each & exactly the spelling of her surname on her marriage as well as other details such as witnesses to the marriage & exactly the name of her father & his occupation please (with dates to save us scrolling back)?

Please can you use info. from certs. not hearsay.

Annie

Added Did Annie sign her name on her marriage or did she 'make her mark' with an 'X'?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline shels1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi rosinish
I am very sorry if i am confusing you all lot.
i am very sure that my great grand mother took her mother name and follow the right people. This info came from a cousin i found from result of my DNA test on ancestry.
  I understand that it is confusing tread is confusing. thank for all your work

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 01 June 17 04:11 BST (UK) »
Shels the cousins dna would be connected to yours even if the relationships to all these people is a bit differebt to on your tree

Does that make sense ?

He she may have jumped to conclusions found evidence that proved it but mixing two branches of same family .dont forvget if named after grandparennts cousins will have exactly same name .

Will puntuate and correct spellings woridings when on computer

Dont despair ..maybe take a break from it for a bit ...thevdead arent going anywhere .

Annie has a logical experienced approach ...and seems to have thebpatince and determination to help you and i think there are other people on ancestry who have these mames on their trees have you sent tham mmessages .

Happy hunting .FYI.im busy cos s radio reporter wsnts detsils of my great gran .there are irish connections but he.s got a genealogist +  fullaccess to newspapers
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline shels1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 01 June 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
Ok

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 03 June 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
Shels did mars ever make contact with you?

Her thinking is different from yours in that she thinks it is possible two of the Doocey brothers, Maurice and John, may have been members of the IRB and changed their name to hide this.
Of course they may have been hiding from the authorities for entirely different reasons.
The case for Maurice Hurley and Maurice Doocey being the same person is fairly good if the Scottish records she has prove to be correct.
It still wouldn't confirm that Johanna Doocey also changed her name but it would support the idea.

If the Maurice Doocey in the 1901 Census of Ireland is Johanna's brother it begs the question why hasn't he already fled Ireland and changed his name, if as is believed Johanna had already changed her name and gone to Dublin by 1901.
If mars could say when Maurice Hurley married in Scotland it would give a time frame to search newspapers and prison records from 1901 to that date to see if Maurice Doocey shows up in any kind of trouble.
Dates for John would also help.

Unfortunately every thing that might help find the answer seems to be either not online or on subscription sites.

Offline shels1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 03:24 BST (UK) »
I not sure I know I did give my e-mail but

Offline SWTree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 12 June 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Shels1,
My wife is a Leech and her Grandfather was Samuel Leech and her Grandmother was Hannah Hurley/Harley and now maybe Doocey? Her father was Arthur Leech and happy to share offline if you like.
Kind regards

Offline jamesmacleod99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I descend through Maurice Doocey/Hurley (my great grandfather) and am the relative that uncovered the name change.  I spent many years searching for Bartholomew Hurley and Mary Doocey to no avail.  I then met a distant relative through Family Tree DNA who lived in the Tallow, Ireland area and it was he who suggested the name change.  I found the birth registration of this Maurice Doocey and it matched the date I had for my great grandfather who I knew to be Maurice Hurley.  Also, through my grandfather who was a son of Maurice, I knew that Maurice was young when his parents died and he came from a large family of which I had several names.  Even the fact that there were two brothers named Thomas.  After Maurice's mother died, he found his older brother Michael too controlling so he went to live with a neighbor.  This matches what is in the 1901 census where Maurice is living nearby the rest of the family.

John/Jack Doocey/Hurley left Ireland I'm guessing sometime shortly after his mother passed away and settled in Hamilton, Scotland.  He married there in 1902 and he is using the name Hurley and his parents are listed as Bartholomew Hurley and Mary Doocey on the marriage record.  The same names are recorded on his death record in 1932.  Maurice arrived sometime after that and first shows up there in his marriage registration to my great grandmother in 1908.  Again, he now is using the name Hurley and lists his parents as Bartholomew Hurley and Mary Doocey.

I suspect that Hanna/Annie Hurley/Doocey married to Samuel Leech is Johanna Doocey born in 1879.  This matches the age of Hanna Hurley in the 1901 census.  There were 2 Johannas.  The first was born and died in 1871.  She would have been named after her grandmother on her mother's side.

Another child of Bartholomew Doocey and Mary Hurley was Bartholomew.  He went to the States but kept the name Doocey.  He died in New York in 1930.

From my grandfather's stories, I was told that the family was involved in the Irish revolution (possibly the IRB) so maybe this was the reason for the name change and fleeing to Scotland.

Mary Hurley's parents (wife of Bartholomew Doocey) were Michael Hurley and Johanna Condon.  Through Family Tree DNA I've connected with several relatives through the Condon line so I'm pretty sure I have the right family.

Maurice Doocey/Hurley eventually moved to Canada and died there in 1962.  If you come across my family tree on Ancestry.ca, I recorded both John and Maurice as being Hurleys even though both were born Dooceys.

I hope this helps clarify things.