Author Topic: Birth of James Beeching 1790/1781  (Read 1728 times)

Offline oggdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth of James Beeching 1790/1781
« on: Wednesday 11 January 17 04:03 GMT (UK) »
James Beeching was born in Rye, Sussex  in 1790 or 1791.This information comes from the 1851 and 1861 censuses when he was living in London.I believe his middle name was Coleman. So James Coleman Beeching. I cannot find a record of his birth or baptism.I have found  a John Coleman Beeching born in 1790 to Elizabeth and John Coleman Beeching .However 4 years later another son was born and he was named John.I am wondering if the first John was really James?
Cheers .Jim

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of James Beeching 1790/1781
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat,
There is a James Beeching baptised in Bexhill in 1788.  Son of Thomas and Ann but it seems more likely, as you say, that your James will be a child of John Coleman-Beeching who married Elizabeth West in Rye on 3rd May 1787.  Witnesses Rd Sharvell and Frances Beeching.  I can't see a baptism for him though.  There are a lot of Beeching entries in the Rye registers at that time with several families baptising children.
Both John Coleman Beeching and Frances Beeching appear to be children of the John Beeching (blacksmith) who married Elizabeth Cooper (widow) in Rye 29 Oct 1759 but it will need further research to verify that.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 08:46 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism for Coleman Beeching 27 Oct 1790 to John and Elizabeth in Rye which is interesting.
A google search for Coleman Beeching throws up some interesting entries and there are obviously online wills which may help you.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=coleman+beeching

Can we assume that you have details of his marriage and children's births?    When did he move to London.   Both the children with him in 1851 seem to have been born there as are those in 1841.
What is your proof that Coleman is his middle name?    I ask because there is another James Beeching born at much the same time so it would be very easy to confuse them.  The latter is probably the one born in Bexhill and is a ship builder.
Is yours the one in St Pancras workhouse in 1871?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Did John Coleman Beeching leave a will ? it will hopefully will name children.

Apprenticeship records
John Beeching of Rye, Cordwainer,  23 December 1790 paid for John Kidd as his apprentice.
John C Beeching of Rye, Taylor 31 May 1787 paid for an apprentice John Marley.
So you have 2 John Beeching's in Rye about the time your James was born plus other Beeching families mentioned in previous post.

The Sussex Family History Society are very helpful.

Offline oggdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 January 17 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you sillgen and amondg.I live in Australia so this is very helpful.I have some questions first before I respond to your questions.
1.Were children in Sussex baptised in the same year as their birth? I have seen examples of children baptised in their teens.
2.Is there a possibility that parents would give two sons the names John Coleman and John?
3.Is there a possibility that James Coleman B's baptism record doesn't exist?
4.how do you access wills on line?

Now as to your questions sillgen :

-I don't know when James moved to London ? Middlesex ?
-He married Eliza Hollway ( also Holloway)in 1815 in Marylebone , Middlesex ( Ancestor)
-Children : James 1815/Eleanor 1818/John Frederick 1822/George Augustus 1824.
-It seems Eliza died ( I can't find a record) in 1824/5 as James remarried in 1826 -Mary ann Dunning.They had 4 children
-I know its James Coleman Beeching because as its on his 1815 marriage record (Ancestor )and its on his son's death certificate in 1870, in Melbourne.In fact there are 4 generations of James C B ending with my grandfather, born in 1879 in Victoria.
-Yes , he did spend time in the work house in 1871.

Finally I might have to join the Sussex family history society. Thanks for the tip amondg.
Greetings from sunny, warm Melbourne.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 17 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is no guarantee that children were baptised soon after birth but the vast majority were.  If not then the vicar may make a note of age or birth date but that does depend on how diligent he was.
The question of names is difficult too.  Maybe the first John died or was known as Coleman?
If the family moved around then James Coleman could have been baptised anywhere, or not at all.   If you join the SFHG then you will have access to their online records which are very good.
Wills are available in various places.    On Ancestry, the National Archives site, Familysearch etc.
A few tips here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760252.msg6112084#msg6112084

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
The Coleman link appears to come from the marriage of Elizabeth Coleman to Thomas Beeching at Rye on 26 January 1720/21.     It may be worth working forward from that to see if you can find a link.

Offline oggdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 January 17 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again sillgen

Offline oggdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 17 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello sillgen after a few days off I am back on the job.I have re-read your posts and have a few questions , if you don't mind.

1.You found the baptism of Coleman Beeching on 27 Oct.1790, which I also found today on the Sussex F H S site. 
So it seems  the birth record from Family Search for a John Coleman Beeching is incorrect? This explains the 2 Johns.

2.Where did you find the marriage record of Elizabeth Coleman to Thomas Beeching in Rye in 1720/21?I can't find it.
Cheers