Author Topic: Write it all down no matter how obscure!  (Read 1470 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Write it all down no matter how obscure!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
That reminds me of the standing joke we had at Inverclyde Royal.  Dunoon mothers used to have to come over on the ferry to the maternity unit.  The ferries were called MV Saturn and MV Jupiter. We thought it was great that a birth certificate could legally say born on Saturn or Jupiter.

and I thought coming from the Moon was mad!

Also proves local knowledge is useful
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's so worth bearing in mind...In conversation with my 98 year old Uncle before he died aged 103 years, who had a wonderful memory, whilst enquiring about our Irish Ancestry.. he said "I don't know where the Carrolls came from in Ireland...all I remember is that Mother always said that's where the glass came from?" but he couldn't explain what this referred to.
I dismissed this apparently meaningless snippet of information until much later when I was doing further research that it dawned on me that the Carrolls must have come from "Waterford" famous for it's crystal  ;D
Another baffling story was that some of the Carrolls went to America and opened " Bucket Shops"  ??? I later learn that one ancestor, a book binder, was a member of the "Bookbinders' Guild" in Missouri, but no evidence of any bucket shops..but she could have been employed in a bookshop?
Carol

I always thought a Bucket Shop was a Bookmakers/Bookies for taking bets; legal or illegal
There is a burger place in St. Joseph Missouri called the Bucket Shop!!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a district called Eden in Cumbria. A Jericho in Lancashire.  A town called Moscow in Scotland.
Some of my ancestors had the surname Moon. A possible origin was Norman-French de Mohun. So they could have claimed to be of the moon, although not from the moon.
Other ancestors were born in Church. That's Church, the place, in Lancashire. Another died in church, during Sunday service. When I'm in my dotage I shall confuse a younger generation with those snippets.
Cowban

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Well I never knew what Bucket Shops were in the mid/late 1800s so I may have got it wrong but found no proof...there is hope for me yet  ::) ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Anyone got rellies born in Bethlehem ;D ;D ;D

http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Towns/Bethlehem.htm

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I had some pieces I couldn't string together.  I got the local Assizes records and in there there was the father's name.  Trouble was, looking at the Census etc one'd assume it to be the chap who lived closer (1 mile away/same village, instead of 2 miles away/in town).... I realised that I had the right one by pinning the information I had against just one of them.  Without the "pieces" I'd have just assumed the other chap "must be right as he's just up the road and has the right name".

Further pieces and tying him into the specific family I'd got for him then came out in a court case published in the newspapers that made me triply sure I absolutely had the right man/family ... trouble was, "the dead end trail" also ended at the same point. "Went to Canada..." and that's where I'm still stuck, except I DO now know he is the right chap, so could at least draw the tree back a further 4-6 generations even if I have no idea what happened to him.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.