Author Topic: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG  (Read 13337 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »

I transcribed for several years for FreeReg, and latterly did so on my Mac. I used the Mac speadsheet and then "exported" it to Excel before sending it on to the co-ordinator, who uploaded it for me. [/quote]
Transcribers do their own uploading via the website Members page.  As the WinREG output is only a CSV (comma-separated variables) file your process via Excel should be simple, provided the 'header' rows are correct.
[/quote]

I know most do, but I was just pointing out the help given to me as a beginner, by the co-ordinator. When you start you are also supplied with templates which ensure all the headers are as required,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 January 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I did the FamilySearch weekend last year and found it interesting. I had problems with the software at times but managed.

I will chase up the FreeReg idea.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 January 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Well I have been thinking about it for a while as a way of giving something back - I'd love to be able to help more on rootschat but there are too many cleverer people on here who do a better job.  I just tried to join up to freereg but no email recieved (apparently you need to do some sort of confirmation within 24 hours) so not sure what's going on!

Edit my phone email just wasn't showing it in junk but the link to complete registration doesn't work anyway! Sure I will get there in the end!

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 January 17 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I've been transcribing it for years as well for Freereg.  I agree with Andrew about the niggle if the images are already online.   I've been covering a place in Derbyshire for months and images are on Familysearch which makes me feel I am just duplicating.

I don't upload them myself.  I explained to the co-ordinator that I was a dummy on the computer, so he suggested I just send them back to him and he uploads them for me.  Works well.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 January 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I've got a lot of respect for people who transcribe for FreeBMD. I've made good use of that website over the years so I should really give something back by transcribing myself, but to be honest transcribing pages of unconnected names and numbers seems really boring. With parish registers, you can follow naming trends and occupations, and laugh at some of the annotations in the margins. At 16 baptisms/burials per page it's easy to do in small chunks.

If anyone's interested in transcribing Essex records, you can check out the images on SEAX to see what the handwriting's like, before you choose a parish to transcribe.

Coombs - you must have seen how lovely the handwriting is on the Foulness records, but I see that somebody else has already transcribed them for FreeREG!

But they left out the marriage witnesses for post 1754 marriages. I could offer to add them as well. Witnesses to marriages are vital. It would be good to jump on board and help get more Essex records transcribed as I doubt Anc will do as ERO have them browsable on SEAX.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 January 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't upload them myself.  I explained to the co-ordinator that I was a dummy on the computer, so he suggested I just send them back to him and he uploads them for me.  Works well.

What a nice friendly co-ordinator ....  But if you are able to attach a photo or a document to an Email, you should be able to upload your spreadsheet file to FreeReg.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 January 17 07:33 GMT (UK) »
I did the FamilySearch weekend last year and found it interesting. I had problems with the software at times but managed.

They have recently updated their software, although personally I haven't had any problems with it ;)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 January 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Just in case I haven't convinced you to transcribe yet.... occasionally you come across a name that makes you titter ;D
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Katharine F

• RootsChat Member
  • You are hiding Annie but one day I will find you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 January 17 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I transcribe for FamilySearch but quite like the idea of transcribing for FreeReg.