Author Topic: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG  (Read 13342 times)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: A challenge for 2017 - become a transcriber for FreeREG
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 23 February 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Without reading through the 11 pages of this thread, can someone tell me if USA residents can participate in this? Or are there similar opportunities for us folks across the pond? I had thought of doing this, and coming across this thread has encouraged me to consider it again. I'm pretty good at deciphering lousy handwriting!  :P

Hi ladyk
I'm sure you'll be able to transcribe for FreeREG from "across the pond". For some counties, they can provide you with images of the original records, or tell you where to find them online. For some counties though, the only option is to go to the local record office and transcribe from the original registers. So I would suggest emailing FreeREG and asking which counties would be suitable. (I know Essex records are available.)

Alternatively, you could sign up for indexing at familysearch.org. You can do it all from the comfort of your own home, anywhere in the world. There are several "projects" on the go including English parish records, so hopefully something will be of interest to you.

And there are lots of other similar projects available, which other rootschatters can tell you about!

Transcribing for FreeREG is great because you can upload your work and it's available to search immediately - it feels great when you see your first transcriptions online. :)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I have been having computer problems and router and internet problems lately but seem to have them fixed now and need to get the ball rolling regarding my training for FreeBMD transcribing. My samples are from Ormskirk.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 23 February 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I have been having computer problems and router and internet problems lately but seem to have them fixed now and need to get the ball rolling regarding my training for FreeBMD transcribing. My samples are from Ormskirk.

Just curious, are they duplicating lancashireOPC Ormskirk records. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:09 GMT (UK) »

I would think yes, very likely.  The Lancs jobs I have done for FreeReg have duplicated records either on LancsPC or on Family Search, or both.  My images have come from LDS (Family Search) anyway.  I would like to transcribe stuff which is not already available, so that I could think I was adding to the available data, but orders is orders ....  :(
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »

Not 100% sure but they could be sending new transcribers Ormskirk samples so they can duplicate them.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »

I would think yes, very likely.  The Lancs jobs I have done for FreeReg have duplicated records either on LancsPC or on Family Search, or both.  My images have come from LDS (Family Search) anyway.  I would like to transcribe stuff which is not already available, so that I could think I was adding to the available data, but orders is orders ....  :(

It is a shame that volunteers time is spent doing what other volunteers have already done elsewhere, particularly with lancashire whose opc site is brilliant.  As you say orders are orders  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Going back a long time now, I seem to remember when I first started transcribing for FreeBMD, that I was sent samples to try out, rather than new un-transcribed pages.  Once I had "passed" the test, then I was allocated my own set of pages to work on.

Possibly the same for FreeREG  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 23 February 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Going back a long time now, I seem to remember when I first started transcribing for FreeBMD, that I was sent samples to try out, rather than new un-transcribed pages.  Once I had "passed" the test, then I was allocated my own set of pages to work on.

Yes, that's what happened for me.  My supervisor asked what areas might be of special interest, and I began with central Manchester because my g-g-g-grandfather was born there in 1806.  But everything I have done has been accessible somewhere else, although not necessarily free.  I did suggest that I might do somewhere 'new', without apparent success.  I have the impression that there is a to-do list which needs to be completed.  Maybe as the images are from a third party someone will have done them somewhere ...
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 23 February 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »

Yes, I think everyone is sent the same sample images. I was sent a batch each of baptisms, marriages and burials. Once I'd proved I was a competent transcriber (I had a couple of errors pointed out) I could get on with transcribing the places I want to do.

I suppose it depends on who your county co-ordinator is - some might prefer to assign people to transcribe a particular place, but I was allowed to choose.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!