Author Topic: Sixteenth Century Inhabitants of the Manor of Launton  (Read 679 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sixteenth Century Inhabitants of the Manor of Launton
« on: Wednesday 11 January 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Some time ago I purchased from TNA documents concerning legal wrangling over a messuage and land in the manor of Launton from around 1596; wrangling in which my ancestor William Deelie was (as it turned out) only peripherally involved.

The documents reveal certain family relationships and occupations among the people of Launton.

Normally I wouldn't trouble the forum with such specific information, but Launton is a special case due to the loss by fire of the early PRs in 1714.

Therefore any family information from the C16th is valuable: so I thought it worthwhile to abstract the details and post them here as a way of making them public.  In time they might be useful to someone.

The TNA references are STAC 5/B25/40 and STAC 5/B52/32.  Those documents which are dated have dates in May of 38 Elizabeth (1596).

Here are the people who are from Launton, with whatever further information could be gleaned.

*  Richard Bigge - Complainant

*  Richard Bigge had a grandfather named Richard Bigge.

*  Grandfather had son and heir named John Bigge.  John Bigge died about 5 Elizabeth.  Complainant is son of John Bigge.

*  Grandfather also had daughters named Joyce and Christian.

*  Christian Bigge married William Winslowe the elder and had issue William Winslowe the younger.

*  Christian and Joyce were both dead by 1596.

*  William Winslowe the elder was probably deceased by 1596.

*  William Winslowe the younger - husbandman

*  William Deelie - husbandman

*  Edward Cale - potter

*  John Freeman - weaver

*  William Freeman - father of John Freeman - deceased by 1596.

*  One Molton/Molten - steward of the manor of Launton around 13 Elizabeth - described by defendants as a gentleman of good Creditt and of longe tyme Steward of the said mannor of Launton.

*  William Bryers

*  John Cotesforde

*  Richard Johanes (Jones)

*  Thomas Lovell (also called Edmund Lovell)

*  Henrie Dodley - lessee of the messuage and land under question (leased from the Complainant Richard Bigge) around 1592.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sixteenth Century Inhabitants of the Manor of Launton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »

Not of any specific interest to me, but just thought that you should have a word of thanks for taking the time and trouble - definitely a case of a "random act of genealogical kindness"!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sixteenth Century Inhabitants of the Manor of Launton
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 17 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Nice of you to say so, Pennie, thank you.