Author Topic: John Cappell June 13, 1849  (Read 12443 times)

Offline jcap7452

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Cappell June 13, 1849
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 22 January 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
John Cappell obit says the following:
The Saginaw Evening News, July 21, 1900
"The funeral of John Cappell, of 1514 Woodside avenue, will be held from his late home uner the auspices of the Modern Woodmen Sunday afternoon. He succumed to a lingering illness yesterday, aged 51 years, and is survived by a widow and four children."

The Saginaw Evening News, July 23, 1900
"The funeral of John Cappell, of 1514 Woodside avenue, was held from his late home yesterday afternoon, under the auspices of camp 1490, Modern Woodmen. Rev. Mr. McGee preached an eloquent funeral sermon at the Woodside M. E. church. The simple funeral rites of the order condcluded the exercises in the vault at Elm Lawn cemetery. An immense funeral cortege and beautiful and numerous floral offerings attested the esteem of the departed pioneer."
Cappell, Smith, Beaton, Wilson, Tubbs, Blake, Sanclemente, Velez, Mejia

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 22 January 17 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Rather unfortunate that neither mention any other siblings or parents names for John.  :'(  Have you asked the RAOGK volunteer if there could have been a Michigan marriage 1878-1880 ?  Try the link RK gave to ask about a marriage in Canada in 1878 - 1880

Ontario Birth / Marriage / Death Indexes and Registrations for Bruce County on microfilm: 1869 – 1914 (births), 1858 – 1929 (marriages) and 1869 – 1939 (deaths)

Newspaper indexes – mainly births / marriages / deaths from Wiarton, Chesley, Paisley, Lucknow and Port Elgin

http://www.brucemuseum.ca/collections-research/archives-and-research/genealogy/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 22 January 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the 1871 Census South Dumfries Brant North - it isn't very conclusive that the country of birth is Quebec -

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 23 January 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Looking at John & Eliza's oldest son William's census records after he left home, i.e., after 1900, I noticed that he starts referring to his fathers birthplace as being NY and his mothers as Canada.  The 1850 census of Campbell County Kentucky has the following CAPPELL family:
Elisha 44 farmer born NY
looks like Maneverey but might be Minerva 30 born NY
John 14 born NY
Adison 12 born NY
William 10 born NY
Wallace 8 born NY
Mariah 3 born KY
George 1 month born KY

The 1860 census of Campbell County KY has
Elisha COPPLE age 46 labourer born NY
Adison COPPLE age 23 born NY
no sign of the other 6 members of this family.

The John in this family has the right name for father but is older than ages found in following records.  Did he start lying about his age when he met Eliza Jane Smith who was about 25 years younger than this John?

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 23 January 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »

manawakian I noticed this record also and was not sure.

Funny that we are not able to find a marriage for John and Eliza in Bay City also checked  for Saginaw, Midland and Arenac. Wonder if we have been searching in the wrong state.

This Cappell family has been a bit of a puzzle.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Searched those records earlier - not convinced that this is the correct John - tried following John Cappell born 1836 New York from the 1850 census District 2, Campbell, Kentucky - which led me to John E. Casselle alternate info John E Capelle born 1836 New York - married and living in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts 1880 married to Anastatia. His parents born France  ::) 

John E. Casselle   44 Norn New York. Cook.  Anastatia Casselle 45 Born Ireland.
John E. Casselle   17 Born England.  Thos. H. Casselle 8 Born MA

A death of Elisha Cappell in U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1885 - This Elisha
Cappell born 1806 Tennessee  - aged 73 years died Batavia, Clermont, Ohio - August 1879. Formerly a farm labourer.  Chronic Diarrhea. If the disease was not contracted at place of death, state where - that was KY.

Elisha Capell Alexandria, Campbell, Kentucky 1870

Elisha Capell   70  Born NY Sarah Capell   29 Born KY
Eliza Capell   5 Born KY Emery Capell   3 Born KY.
John Caster   9 Born KY

1880 Pierce, Clermont, Ohio - John still appearing with the same family.

Sarah Cappell   40 Born kentucky.
John Cappell   19 Born Kentucky.
Emery Cappell   13 Born kentucky.

Sarah - is Sarah Moore Caster.

On the death certificate for Emory Burr Cappel born 4 May 1867 Kentucky passed away 30 November 1947 -Eaton, Delaware, Indiana - mother listed as Sarah Moore. Father Unknown.
Listed on FIND A GRAVE -

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=171990786&ref=acom

Sandra

Offline jcap7452

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Sandra - I am waiting to hear back from the RAOGK volunteer regarding if there could have been a Michigan marriage in 1878-1880.

What if John Cappell's dads name wasn't even Elisha??? Eliza's dads name was listed as John Smith and we found his name to be Thomas Smith! (I haven't been able to find out if Thomas Smith's middle name may have been John)

In John Cappell's obit it also says, "An immense funeral cortege and beautiful numerous floral offerings attested the esteem of the departed pioneer." - It sounds like he was well liked and perhaps well known...I don't understand why we can't find him anywhere prior to 1880!!! ???

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »

Hello jcap

I did notice from John's obituary that he appeared to belong to a  Fraternal benefit society Modern Woodmen , Camp 1490 Modern Woodmen . I did see a listing in the Polk Directory  under Bay City
Societies 1893-1894.
I could not find out anything else on this Society wonder if the Bay City Genealogical people would have anything.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline jcap7452

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Lilybell,
I sent an email asking them to check if they can find anything regarding the Modern Woodsmen Camp 1490.

Thank you  ;D