Author Topic: Western Road School Sheffield War Memorial - Help needed  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Western Road School Sheffield War Memorial - Help needed
« Reply #36 on: Friday 24 February 17 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Sorry for tardy response - been away with work this week. Dan - I'm already working on the St Tims list from the memorial in the church and we've also completed Crookesmoor school

What we're trying to do here is get the service records for all the Western Rd boys who served even tho the trees on Western Road are specifically linked to the war memorial. I don't know Dan if you're connected with the Crookes & Walkely trees group but they also are working with the Woodland Trust and are producing detailed info about their service careers. Are you linked to this?

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline D Eaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 24 February 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for clarifying- I'm not actually affiliated to any groups as such, more just a local with a keen interest!  Wesley Hall has been my focus and more than enough of a task in reality, the only info I've had to work from was a single copy of the original unveiling service but think I've nearly got there now.  There seems to be a lot happening right now in Crookes in terms of remembrance, but there was probably thousands of servicemen from the area at the time!
If you'd like me to help looking through a batch or two of names I'd be happy to assist.

Dan

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 24 February 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan

I you can pm me your email I'll send you a batch of names and also be good to chat about what you've done as the girls working on the re-dedication stuff I am very sure would be very interested in the work you've done to date :)

Best Wishes

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 24 February 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Ann - do you still need volunteers?  If so, I'm happy to help.  Let me know and I'll PM my email address.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 09 April 17 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Spider

My apologies . I don't know why but I missed this. Yes please! It would be very much appreciated  :)

Thanks

Ann

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 09 April 17 05:14 BST (UK) »
I want to say a huge THANK YOU!!!!!! to everyone who is helping with this one.

The trees are still there - but for how long who knows. However the local community are buzzing and it has sparked a real interest (even from those not born here - like myself) in finding out more about these war heroes.

Sheffield is a big city and the different areas are in some ways a bit village like but other areas of the city where there are war memorial trees are also getting mobilised. We had a very moving service for the Crookesmoor boys (area next to Western Road) a few weeks ago as their trees were planted in March1917. I don't think I'll be able to post it here because it has us the living in it but if anyone would like the link to the video footage please pm me.

We have also as a result been able to hand over a complete list of the Crookesmoor boys to the Sheffield archives as we will do with this project for Western Road.

I cannot thank Rootschatters who are helping us out with this enough. It's filling in a major gap in my adopted city's history

Best Wishes

Ann

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 09 April 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
Only too glad to help, Ann - hope you got the last lot I sent you. I'm surprised how involved I have become as I have no connection with Sheffield, but I breathe a sigh of relief as I find a death in the 1960s or 1970s or find the men alive in the 1939 register, so know they survived WW1. Then of course there is the sadness after I've followed a boy through from a 5 year old at school, through the 1911, his signing up and then his death at the age of 18 or 19. Luckily a lot from the area did survive.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 09 April 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
I did - many many thanks as always  :D. I know what you mean :) I'm almost willing them onto the 1939 as I go through them.

Offline Dan Llywelyn Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear all who have been researching the Western Road School roll of honour.
I am partaking in an event this coming Saturday ARMISTICE and I wonder if you managed to compile a list of all 402 names that originally served from the school now WESTWAYS. I understand the plaque with the 65 names of the fallen has been 'lost' I would be very grateful of your help.
Dan danllywelynhall@gmail.com