Author Topic: Western Road School Sheffield War Memorial - Help needed  (Read 5995 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Western Road School Sheffield War Memorial - Help needed
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Splendid, makes the chance of success that much greater.  My email coming by PM.  Please send me a batch.  And good luck :)

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the email. Looked at the first 4, but can't find any military records as yet. At least one survived the war, do you want his death recorded so that you can eliminate him?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »
yes please  :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 January 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Ann,

It sounds like a very worthwhile project - so I've moved the topic to here in the Common Room so that more RootsChatters can help you.

All the best,
Trystan
RootsChat Support
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 January 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
You may be interested in this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-38506358

These trees (which are in their way a war memorial) are amongst very many in Sheffield earmarked to be felled.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 January 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

I know about the trees campaign (am actively involved in it). We hope we can save them but as a result of it we unearthed this huge gap in the archives which we wanted to sort out. Western Rd is one of a few streets here in Sheffield where war memorials in the shape of tree lined avenues exist. There are tho a few that have no roll of honour in the school and Western Road infants is one.

If we can save the trees, we will but if not we will I hope have a lasting record for the Crookes community we can give to the Sheffield archives as well as the War Memorials Trust in perpetuity. It's a close knit community and people feel very attached to what their trees represent and many are descendants of those who served whose families have stayed in the area. They are very proud of their boys (rightly so) and very excited we're doing this so they can have a proper roll of honour.

Best Wishes

Ann :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Could the WW1 casualties who attended Western Road Infant School have been commemorated on a Memorial at any subsequent junior or secondary school they attended?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Ann - did you get my e-mail with results of the 15 names you sent me?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No already checked  :( the War Memorials Trust also confirmed same. We've checked all the local churches as well just to make sure

Best Wishes

Ann