Author Topic: Records of inquests in Ireland late 1800s.  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records of inquests in Ireland late 1800s.
« on: Thursday 12 January 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a general inquiry about how to obtain details of inquests held in Ireland during the late 1800s (between 1888 and 1891 inclusive, to be more precise). Is it a similar process to finding the information for England. I have been trying online to find the details of the inquest in to the death my g. g. grandfather who moved from England to Ireland after 1888. He was apparently killed during an accident on a building site. To avoid repetition/additional complications I don't want to expand on the particulars in this post because I have explored this subject previously on RootsChat. I just want to know if is there an Irish organisation or similar that holds historic information on inquests or is it simply a matter of continuing to trawl through old newspapers. All help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Doddie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records of inquests in Ireland late 1800s.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 January 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked in Irish newspapers? sometimes other papers, not just a local one, printed the details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 17 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Have you simply asked the local coroners office? I would imagine that they must know the answer as to how far back their records go, and what has become of the earlier records if no longer held locally.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 17 05:13 GMT (UK) »
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 January 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
You don't say where in Ireland the death occurred. If it happened to be in what is now Northern Ireland, surviving coroners files are in PRONI, the public record office, in Belfast. The files themselves are not on-line but you can search their e-catalogue to see if they have files for the location and years you are interested in.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 January 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Looks like you think it happened in Dublin but have you investigated the information posted in the last reply on the thread?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748740.msg5964182#msg5964182
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 January 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for the swift responses: aghadowey, I will indeed  need to check out some more general newspapers. I have mainly been concentrating on Irish ones up till now. Wexflyer, I will have a go at going straight to the horse's mouth and speak to the coroner Service. I will keep you all posted with any progress.

Regards

Doddie