Author Topic: AIREY family, Lincolnshire - help much appreciated  (Read 826 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
AIREY family, Lincolnshire - help much appreciated
« on: Thursday 12 January 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I would really appreciate some help with the AIREY line of my family - they're proving to be an interesting bunch!

Particularly, I would love help finding more about WILLIAM AIREY. He was my direct ancestor, and the father of GEORGE AIREY, another one of my ancestors.
I am struggling to find out about WILLIAM AIREY - I know that he married Elizabeth MAJOR at Wrawby in Lincolnshire 27th Feb 1753, William is said to be of Luddington Parish, and Elizabeth is of Redbourne. Together, William and Elizabeth had the following children; Catherine, Anne, John, William, George, Sarah, Mary and James, born between the years 1754 - 1769.

I would love to be able to find the baptism record for WILLIAM AIREY, as I'd like to trace further back along his line. Although, I am struggling to find anything on him. Apart from him being from the Luddington Parish, I can only guess at his approximate birth date, and I am yet to find his occupation either (although his son George was a fiddler).

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: AIREY family, Lincolnshire - help much appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a baptism for William Airey. The nearest similar name is William Aire on 9th June 1734, son of James and Ann, at nearby Thornton Curtis.

Something you may have seen before - biographies of George Biddell Airy who was descended from another William Airy of Luddington. A general search will bring up the details or "William Airy of Luddington" will take you directly to the reference.

David

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 17 10:20 GMT (UK) »
When the marriage entry says he was "of Luddington parish" that just means he had lived there for a minimum of about 3 weeks whilst the banns were called, not that he was born there. So he could have been born anywhere!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I noticed a previous post which proposed the link of George Airey of Gainsborough to William and Elizabeth of Redbourne.

Unfortunately, there is a burial of George, son of William and Elizabeth Airy, in Redbourne on 28th April 1765 and I can't find a second child of that name.

However, there was a George Airey, son of William, baptised in Luddington on 28th May 1756.

I can't be certain but he was probably the brother of William Ary, son of William and Hannah, who was baptised there in 1749. He was the father of George Biddell Airy.

There are several other children, all Ary except George - Mary 1741, Sarah 1743, Hannah 1746, William 1749, Esther 1752 and George 1756.

https://www.myheritage.com/names/george_airy

There is no definite evidence to link him to George Airey of Gainsborough

David

P.S. - I have just found a burial of a George Ary in Luddington in 1774 but no age given. He might have been the son of William or an earlier George. There was a George, son of George baptised in 1733 and a burial in 1748, which could have been father or son but no way of telling.