Author Topic: Marriage in St Nicholas Newcastle 1841  (Read 2292 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in St Nicholas Newcastle 1841
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Happy to have a look on Wednesday if you wish  :)

Christine

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 January 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Curious how this couple cannot be located on census.  Also not located any children with Mmn in timeframe on the new GRO for all England/Wales.  Possibly they could have emigrated...or one or both died.

Just a thought..If c-side is able to look up the marriage cert, and this death that may or may not possibly be linked, which may explain?  Not looked at any later.

Death, WELLS, JANE  age     21 
GRO Reference: 1842  D Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION  Volume 25  Page 228

As said just a thought..

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:57 GMT (UK) »
They are indeed candidates for migration in 1849 from Liverpool .I thought it is also a possibility that the death in 1842 is the same Jane, but the most likely Jane TEMPERLEY was bapt 1810, to George and Margaret , that would make her 30+ in 1842. It is also possible that the age transcription is mis-read.
There doesn't appear to be many WELLS in Newcastle in this period.
James WELLS obvious absence from the census in this area is unfortunate, but not entirely unlikely. You would have thought that if he is married by Sept latest that he might show up locally.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 January 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
There doesn't appear to be many WELLS in Newcastle in this period.
James WELLS obvious absence from the census in this area is unfortunate, but not entirely unlikely. You would have thought that if he is married by Sept latest that he might show up locally.

Bear in mind that couples did not always marry locally. My great-great grandparents married at St Nicholas Newcastle, but at the time were both living in the Consett area of County Durham, some 15 miles away. Several of their siblings, also resident in the Consett/Shotley Bridge area also flitted into Newcastle to get married. We don't know why.

I'd say it would be worth looking a little further afield than Newcastle itself.
For instance, there is a 24 year old James Wells living in Shotley Bridge, Co. Durham, birthplace 'Not in County'.
The marriage record from the parish register may reveal an occupation for James which might assist  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 January 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that looks likely, ..paper mills... @ Shotley Bridge   And he is detailed as a paper maker.
And also a TEMPERLEY family with father George, and a daughter Jane 19, a few sheets away on the census on page  17/18.
The James I am seeking has a papermaking background at migration and later on census entries in the US and he was born in a papermaking location in Norfolk, co-incidentally where my papermaker ancestor was born, 18 years previously. My ancestor Jacob is known to have had a brother Christopher b 1789  but it has been assumed he died in infancy, this has now triggered a re-think . Also, just to throw this into mix, a sibling of Jacob , Mary married in late 1816 in Norfolk, to what is almost certainly a man from Kendall, named Kennedy WALKER. However  he re-appears in Kendall in the 1841 census detailed as a papermaker with a wife Rachel ,and a number of children, it is known that the eldest daughter has Rachel as her mother. Prior to Mary's marriage, she had an illegitimate son..James b 1815. He is the subject of further research, along with the other 17 James's with similar surname. He could well be Kennedy's son, so might have gone under the name WALKER.
Exactly what happened to Mary is of course still being researched, and there are obviously several scenarios.
We know my WELLS family from this era did travel around, as the term journeyman crops up, and our ancestor travelled hundreds of miles over the course of decades, being found in Herts,Kent and Sussex.

So this James remains as possibly connected to my extended family from Norfolk and looking around for this Christopher anywhere in the England can commence.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 January 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
And also a TEMPERLEY family with father George, and a daughter Jane 19, a few sheets away on the census on page  17/18.

It will be interesting to see what the marriage record reveals about Jane's father. Bear in mind, though that the 1841 census doesn't show relationships, so it is just a presumption that the Jane you mention is with her father at that time  :)

We know my WELLS family from this era did travel around, as the term journeyman crops up, and our ancestor travelled hundreds of miles over the course of decades, being found in Herts,Kent and Sussex.

Just one point: the term Journeyman has nothing to do with travelling around.

A Journeyman was someone who had completed his apprenticeship, but who hadn't yet progressed to becoming a 'Master' who could employ people and set his own rates.

A Journeyman was paid by the day, the term probably based on the French word 'journee'. It has nothing to do with making a journey, i.e. travelling.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 January 17 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Here's the marriage from the parish records -

St. Nicholas, Newcastle, 4 September 1841 by banns

James Wells, Widower of full age, Paper maker of this parish.  Father Christopher Wells (deceased), Paper maker
Jane Temperley Spinster of full age, of this parish.  Father George Temperley, Labourer

James signed, Jane made her mark

Witnesses:  William Temperley (signed) and Mabel Golightly (mark)

Christine

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 January 17 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help Christine.

As is often  the case, it raises more questions ,the search for his previous marriage can begin ( on the assumption that the statement widower is true ), at least I know his father has died, and I can take a look at the witnesses to see if they are Jane's family.

I wasn't expecting  his father to be Christopher, I can't rule out that he is just saying his father is Christopher.

As discovered the other evening, the James son of Christopher WELLS in Bariathwhaite, Westmorland circa 1817 are equally likely to be this James. The connection with Kendal from the husband of Mary Miller WELLS back in Norfolk married 10-10-1816 also in the background, with her son James born 1815.

Has James  b 1815 the son of Mary Miller who later married the WALKER from Kendal migrated north with him after his mothers death, or migrated with them 1815 onwards and his mother dies elsewhere.
Does James declare that his father was a Christopher....?  a papermaker perhaps in Swanton Morley Norfolk. All possibilities.

Is James son of, Christopher and Mary 25 Dec 1817 in Crostwhaite & Lyth  , the same James recorded in West Newton  16 Jun 1817 ?

I may start a new posting for the WELLS family in Crossthwaite Westmorland ( 4 boys born 1817-1823) , who probably migrate to Blakely Lancs. Is it the same family and 2 of the sons b Braithwhaite died in Blakely , also with a third 1825-1827.

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 January 17 22:52 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if the Crosthwaitte & Lyth WELLS family is as follows, they do migrate to Blakely in Manchester  sometime between 1823 and 1826.
The deaths of both parents appear to be recorded in 1836, both aged 47.
Pitching their births at 1789. This may be an incredible coincidence because the Christopher born in Norfolk, was born/bapt in 1789.
Christopher WELLS married Mary CASTLHOW 13-5-1816,in Crosthwaite Westmorland, they had the following children in that parish.
James bpt 25-12-1817.
John bpt 27-9-1819, buried 18-3-1827 in Blakely.
William bpt 7-10-1820, buried 30-10-1825 in Blakely.
Christopher bpt 27-2-1823 , buried 18-3-1828?in Blakely.
Jacob bpt 4-6-1826 in Blakely, buried 21-12-1826 in Blakely

The occurrence of the name Jacob, is extremely interesting, and is a name associated with the Norfolk family . Because if this was the Christopher born in Norfolk, he would have had a sibling and uncle named Jacob.

The son James  does not appear in any burial record in Westmorland or  Lancashire.

A possiblevfirst marriage for James could well be
James WELLS papermaker to Ellen BRADDOK on 1-1-1837 in Manchester.
It is likely that Ellen died in Manchester in 1839 aged 22.