Author Topic: I've finally gone private with my Ancestry Tree.  (Read 3658 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: I've finally gone private with my Ancestry Tree.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I have previously given a few people editing rights as I thought this would merely give them access to living persons data.I didn't expect any of them to make changes without telling me.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

I'm afraid that is your answer then. The best thing is to only give them guest rights, then they can see all the tree but not change it. 

The problem now is that I'm not sure, as you have already given them access, whether changing to private would stop them seeing it. The best thing would be to go into your tree management and either delete them so they don't have access or change their status to guest.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I have previously given a few people editing rights as I thought this would merely give them access to living persons data.I didn't expect any of them to make changes without telling me.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

I'm afraid that is your answer then. The best thing is to only give them guest rights, then they can see all the tree but not change it. 

The problem now is that I'm not sure, as you have already given them access, whether changing to private would stop them seeing it. The best thing would be to go into your tree management and either delete them so they don't have access or change their status to guest.

Will the guest status give them access to living persons?

Regards
WilliamRussell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »

Regards
William Russell Jones.

There lies the problem I'm afraid, and as groom says the only way may be to give them guest rights, although I would be tempted to contact Ancestry to see how you could "Eliminate" all guests and then make your tree private to see if that helped  :-\

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 January 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
It does indeed appear as if I've brought a lot of this on myself.I've been granting editor status almost as a default position.However I have now changed them all to guest.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 January 17 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Will the guest status give them access to living persons?

Yes, I'm a guest on a few trees and can see everything.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 January 17 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm a guest on a few trees and can't see living people.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 January 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
There is an option to allow them to see living people. You need to go into sharing and tick "Can see living people"  I allow people I know are definitely connected to see living but untick it for those I'm not too sure about.