Author Topic: 1718 Migration to the USA  (Read 3510 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1718 Migration to the USA
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone have the names of the Co Derry people in the ships in the 1718 Migration to the USA, please? I am trying to find if there were any people with surname Moore from the Lough Foyle area,

I have already looked at the 1718 Migration website.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1718 Migration to the USA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 08:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm not aware of any list of passengers (would be a fantastic resource). There are records of early settlers of Londonderry, New Hampshire which contain some detail of some families.

Do you know where the Moores settled in America?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 14:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 17 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for replies.

Aghadowey, I believe they were in Londonderry New Hampshire before going to Moores Mills in New Brunswick, Canada.

Do you know where the records for  Londonderry, New Hampshire are?

I believe William Moore who went to Canada in 1785 was connected to the Cape Anne Association.

Regards, Marilyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:22 GMT (UK) »
The History of Londonderry was reprinted a number of years ago (3 volumes) and I bought mine at the Leech Library in Londonderry in the 1980s. There are some biographical and family details but nothing obvious for Moores at an early date.

Bolton's Scotch Irish Pioneers is indexed and does have some Moores mentioned. Do you have a first name of the ancestor supposed to have gone out to America?

Most, but not all, of the early Londonderry settlers were from the Aghadowey congregation of Rev. McGregor and the surrounding area.

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 17 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, I am descended from a Tristram Moore tried at Newtown Limavady as an Irish rebel and transported to Australia in 1802. He was possibly on the Postlethwaite in Belfast Harbour in late 1790s and a Captain in the rebel army.

There are Tristram Moores in Tamlaght Finlagan in the 1800s and a few in USA records fdrom 1764.

As Tristram wasn't a common name I have been looking for connections between the various to throw light on mine.

On the weekend I googled and came across this:

William Moore, born in Ireland about 1680, though not of the original 16, is supposed to have been one of the early settlers of Londonderry (New Hampshire). He was the father of William Moore of the Cape Ann Association, who settled in New Boston, NH, about 1756, and came from that place to St. David (in New Brunswick, Canada) with his large family, probably in 1785. He built the first mill at Moore's Mills, where his son Tristram Moore succeeded him in the business. His wife Hannah Livingstone was a remarkable woman, of whom there are many quaint and curious tales.

The Tristram mentioned in above paragraph had a son Horatio Nelson Moore who had a son about 1850 called Tristram Moore.

The above clarifies for me the origin of the Wm Moore who went to Moores Mills in 1785 and his father was from a valley near Coleraine, so not far from Tamlaght Finlagan and Aghadowey. Apparently they came from Scotland about 100 years before the 1718 Migration but the above Moores to the USA after 1718 and not among people of 1718.

I suspect they had a common ancestor called Tristram Moore and the name went down the generations through brothers and uncles. Does there happen to be a Tristram in Bolton's Scotch Irish Pioneers?

The search continues.

Regards, Marilyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 17 09:53 GMT (UK) »
No Tristram Moore mentioned in Bolton's index but as a first name it was not that uncommon in this area.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you written to any of the local papers, they might put a letter in for you asking for information.