Author Topic: Daniel Goodwin's wife died 1866 Monaghan giving birth to twins, baby Bertha l  (Read 6255 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Goodwin's wife died 1866 Monaghan giving birth to twins, baby Bertha l
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
There's a Bridget Goodwin, age 14, in 1875 census with uncle James age 40 and his wife Ann (age 24)- this is supposed to be the page but I don't see them  ???
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VT8V-LVG

They are on page 7 rather than page 8 in the 1875.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Goodwin's wife died 1866 Monaghan giving birth to twins, baby Bertha l
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Utica Herald-Dispatch, 27 July 1906 (obituary with photo) James A. Goodwin died 26 July "born in County Monaghan, Ireland, 35 years ago, and was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Goodwin. When an infant he was brought to America by his parents. The family settled at Forrestport, going from there to New York Mills 18 years ago." "survived by his mother, Mrs. Daniel Goodwin; four sisters, Mrs. Timothy O'Brien and Mrs. Mary McGuinness of Utica and Bessie and Nellie Goodwin of New York Mills, and three brothers Hugh and Daniel of New York Mills and John of Illon.
fultonhistory.com

Utica Sunday Journal, 31 Dec.1899 Mary Garvey, widow of Owen Garvey "born in County Monaghan, Ireland, and came to this country 45 years ago." 3 sons, 2 daughters, "one sister Mrs. Julia McDonald of New York,a nd one brother, Daniel Goodwin of New York Mills."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
That looks very promising.

Whilst searching, I noticed that there is a published tree which may be rpepper's.
That would support that Bessie is not Bertha as both ladies are in 1900 census.
Bertha is in 1900 after her marriage to Timothy O'Brien.
The difficulty is that Bertha gives year of immigration as 1889.
Her age is also different to that of Bridget. However according to the tree the date of birth is v similar just she is a few years younger.

I think it highly likely that Bridget changed her name and fibbed about her age perhaps as Timothy was younger.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Have just added death of Mary (Goodwin) Garvey to the above post.

Utica Daily Press, ? April 1910 "Anna Lamb, widow of Daniel Goodwin" born 1841 Co. Monaghan... lots of family details including mention of sister Katherine Lamb.

Offline rpepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 January 17 03:15 GMT (UK) »
THANK YOU

Aghadowney - yes same family and I have different ages and they seem to be all over the place but those census records are that way sometimes

THANK YOU

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 January 17 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello again rpepper,

So what do you think? Is your Bertha the Bridget whose baptism we found with her mother as Rose and as a consequence you have their origins in Monaghan?
You have only confirmed the censuses. It would be good to know.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'd also be interested to know if 'Bertha' (a most unlikely name for an Catholic girl born in Monaghan at that time) was really Bridget.

There is lots more information to be found in the newspapers on the Fulton newspaper site-
http://fultonhistory.com/

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Me three, said she following on like a sheep  ;D, I'd be interested to know too.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Utica Daily Press, 31 Jan.1950- obituary for Timothy L. O'Brien (age 82) "Oct. 28, 1891, he married Bertha Goodwin in St. Francis de Sales Church, Mrs. O'Brien died Jan. 12, 1945. 1 sons, 1 daughter, etc.

Her obituary- "Bertha L. Goodwin was born in Forestport, Jan, 6, 1866, daughter of the late Daniel and Ann Lamb Goodwin and married in 1891"

Bridget Goodwin - mother Rose Keenan (dead?)  6 January 1861
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632801#page/43/mode/1up