Author Topic: Daniel Goodwin's wife died 1866 Monaghan giving birth to twins, baby Bertha l  (Read 6223 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Goodwin's wife died 1866 Monaghan giving birth to twins, baby Bertha l
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
1940 census has Bertha O'Brien born c1867 New York
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQ5Q-VKX
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89MB-79G3?mode=g&i=11&cc=2000219

1920 census she's Bertha A. born c1866 New York
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MVMT-BXP

1910 census born c1869 New York- four children
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M59W-NF8

1900 census born May 1866 Ireland, to U.S. 1889!
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS2V-J1R
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Goodwin's wife died 1866 Monaghan giving birth to twins, baby Bertha l
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I still believe it highly probable that Bridget and Bertha were one and the same. Assuming she was told (given that rpepper knew there had been a death in childbirth of the mother and the death of a twin sibling), perhaps she felt some 'stigma' regarding the fact her 'mother' was not Ann Lamb, but rather Ann was her step-mother. To help make things seem more 'normal' and save questions, she decided to refer to herself as their natural daughter, and 'change' her place and year of birth to help the 'story' along, but did confide in some of her family the true situation. After all, many did not pay too much attention to 'birthdays' in that timescale, and so it would have been easy to add or take away a few years here and there.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 January 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I think Bridget and Bertha are the same person also. To all extents and purposes Ann Lamb was her mother and the O'Briens (Bertha's husband and children) would have considered Ann her mother.

In 1900 says she was born Ireland (but year of arrival is way off) but later records give her as born New York so it's not surprising that her obituary says born New York.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 15 January 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, as I wrote in reply #20 it seems most likely that Bridget and Bertha are the same person, including her birthday which is her baptism date.
Aghadowey has comprehensively covered the family in censuses and obituaries and in the absence of Bertha pre-marriage, there is no other female family member who could be her.
I was just a bit surprised that rpepper didn't comment on these findings.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rpepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 January 17 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to All!  Yes, I think Brigid and Bertha are one and the same.  She started using Bertha in the US most likely.  I think my great-great grandmother died giving birth around age 16. Bertha's twin died as well.  I found a record of a Rosa Keenan baptized 21 Sep 1845 in Tydavnet, residence: Feebagh, father Andreas Keenan and mother Rosa Brady.  How do I verify this?

That probably WAS my great-grandmother that was in the hospital in Utica for burns.  I imagine Elizabeth and Bessie are the same person as well.  Also, I wonder if Brigid moved in with her aunt and uncle at age 14 or so- the location makes sense.

Scotmum - How can I check to see if Philip Goodwin of Craghy, Magheross is related to my great-great grandfather, Daniel Goodwin?

Interestingly enough, I will be in Dublin on business in about 10 days and am trying to drive up to Carrickmacross.  I wonder if there will be any records there!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 January 17 08:51 GMT (UK) »
There are unlikely to be any records on the family held locally and I suspect that Dublin or Belfast is where you'd find any archived material.

Going by what I found in the N.Y. newspapers it seems as though not just Daniel Goodwin (& family) moved there but many of the wider family circle. Luckily the obituaries were quite good at giving details of connections (and online) so searching through the newspapers you should be able to add to your family tree before going through the church registers (luickily also online and free).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 January 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandmother died giving birth to twins.  She was married to Daniel Goodwin and she gave birth to Bertha Goodwin (my great grandmother).  Bertha's mom and twin died during the delivery.  About a year later Daniel Goodwin (my great-great grandfather) remarried.  He married Anna Lamb in Monaghan. 

Suppose I should have asked earlier, but do you mind sharing your source for this info, especially the part about the death whilst giving birth and the death of a twin. Was it information that was passed down through the family (an old family bible, perhaps, or word of mouth from 'Bertha' to her children). as obviously, given the finds in this thread, it appears to be very accurate?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 January 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)

I was going to post that the records for Maghaire Rois parish at the time of a possible marriage are very feint - which they are. However, I have just had a scroll through and lo and behold- there is the marriage  :) It will need some deciphering but I have tried to show what I see. It is number 93.

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632802#page/11/mode/1up

16th February  ??? 1860

Daniel Goodwin Corlea parents H.. and Brigid? F..gan? - maybe
Rosa Kainen? Drum... Parents Patrick and Rosa Manion  ???

Witnesses Bernard Mac... Corlea
Anna Ma... Conduff Mountain

Please will you check and see what you think.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 January 17 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Possibly Drumgowna or Drumgurra for Rose?