Author Topic: SUMMER HILL near Orange NSW  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SUMMER HILL near Orange NSW
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to identify this location/property which I believe is at or near Summer Hill Creek outside of Orange, NSW.  I think the second word is "farm".  So could be something like "-insliter's Farm".  The original document (a will) appears to be water-damaged so very difficult to read.   
Thank you, J. 

Offline Wilson Hunter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SUMMER HILL near Orange NSW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
HI J

The names of the people you are searching that connect to this property may help locate the property.

Wilson_Hunter
Wilson, Pearce, Hervett, Smith, Olding, Cotton, Stenton

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I don't know that these people actually owned the property but the names I have in connection with the document (Will of Thomas Astill) are:

Thomas Astill (died 6/6/1854) and his wife Mary
John West (son-in-law of Thomas) wife probably also Mary
Joseph Cantrill

Thanks,
J

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Definitely a K so Kinshlers' farm or perhaps Kirshler's --- at a stretch it could be a H but I think definitely K

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that gives me a bit of an idea when searching.  J

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I am relying on memory to find several online links, and so I have not yet 'back tracked back to 1850s,  ::)  ::) perhaps only back to late 1860s.

SUMMER HILL CREEK Public School was in the :
Parish of March
County of Wellington
Land District of Orange
Pastures Protection District of Bathurst
Local Government Authority of Canoblas Shire

Summer Hill Creek is also in the Parish of Clinton & Orange, and the County of Bathurst. 

See  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=678243.0 

Then consider searching the online historic parish maps at Land & Property Info (currently a free website, but LPI is to be privatised, so best get to the parish maps asap.).
http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au/land_titles/historical_research/parish_maps

You could also try NSW State Archives, https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/indexes-a-z 

Could be another week before I have full access to all my offline NSW resources (lent some of the Central West ones to a reliable rellie  ;D )   I am sure that ASTILL was among the Pioneer families with freehold land in the Canoblas district.   I think WEST was more towards Bathurst.   :D

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:20 GMT (UK) »
NSW Geographical Names Board  ;D

SUMMER HILL CREEK
A watercourse about 42 km long. It rises about 2 km east of Millthorpe and flows generally NNW then ENE into Lewis Ponds Creek at Ophir. 

http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/publications/placename_search

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Found William Astill (son of Thomas) in County Bathurst, Police District orange and John West County Wellington, Police District Orange in a list of electors in 1856. 

Have been trying to zero in on the death of Thomas Astill (died 6/6/1854) but whose death does not seem to appear in NSW BDM.  At SRO today skimmed through the burials for 1854 and Orange was noticeably absent so wondering where the original parish registers are.  A look at the Nick Vine-Hall book yielded nothing.  Probate packet confirms date of death and earlier researchers were able to find his date of death on his headstone at Orange (which possibly no long exists or is no longer legible) as I haven't been able to bring it up on cemeteries search. 

The will is interesting being written on a small piece of paper and, according to the supporting documentation in the probate packet, dictated by Thomas to John West (including the signature). 

Have just started exploring the maps.  Thank you.   J

P.S.  Astill descendants number in the thousands. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 January 17 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

NSW State Archives have two files but from the 1890s, and one of those files is the deceased estate, locality Tumbarumba - long way from Summer Hill Creek both in decades and distance... BUT the files are for a chap surnamed KINSTLER ... perhaps that's the elusive name.   If the 'farm' was named after the property owner, then we need to remember that 'foreigners' needed to become naturalised British Subjects to obtain title to land.  So perhaps a search through the NSW State Archives index of naturalisations etc may turn up some possibles too.

Anyway, I used their keyname search option and entered KINS% (% as a wild card) to spot KINSTLER.  There's lots of other surnames there starting with KINS, and of course you can use the % and then add letters after it too. 

JM