Author Topic: Clarification on possible mis-transcription - Warwick & Worcester mix-up!  (Read 2518 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification on possible mis-transcription - Warwick & Worcester mix-up!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Moreover... if the witnesses are indeed John and Eliza Pressdee, the 1851 census shows a John Presdee born in Affrick, Warwickshire (!), living on New Street Corn Market, Worcester, a Flour Dealer, which would tie in very nicely with William Wood's trade as miller. And he has a 34 year old daughter Eliza. These seem like too many coincidences not to be the same as the witnesses in Rebecca's marriage.

So.... this would suggest perhaps William Wood's marriage was indeed the one refered to in 1811 to Ann Pressdee. Why then, is it not listed anywhere except the Nat. Archives link posted by Daisypetal?
Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Also Ann Pressdee baptised 01 May 1780 at Alfrick And Lulsley, daughter of John & Mary
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes! and there's a 1779 baptism for John Pressdee with the same parents, making him Ann's brother... which suggests the witnesses to Rebecca's wedding were her uncle and cousin on her mother's side. Still looking for that elusive marriage between William Wood and Ann Pressdee though, which would nail it.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hereford Journal 01 May 1811

Married  - at Suckley, Mr Wood, Miller, near Bromyard, to Miss Presdee, only daughter of Mr John Presdee of Millam, Worcester.

Added:  Worcester Journal 25 April 1811 has the date as "yesterday"
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thread & great find Jomot.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Oh this is great, thank you Jomot!

I think this marriage is firmly nailed down then :)

I just re-checked the LDS records for Rebecca Wood's birth, and now see very different results from the old IGI! Her 31st May 1818 christening is now stated as Worcester, not Malvern as was listed in the old IGI. ( "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVMJ-QGM : 30 December 2014), Rebecca Wood, 31 May 1818; citing Worcester, England, reference p 4; FHL microfilm 350,531.)

There are a couple of other possible Worcester christenings to the same parents which were not in the old IGI list, John (18th Dec 1815 in Alfrick) and Benjamin (18th Oct 1818 in Worcester). I found some of the records in the old LDS records quite unreliable in the past, is it any more reliable now? 

Many thanks to everyone for all your help on this, I finally see some movement on what has been the thickest of brick walls!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Great find by Daisypetal  :D

I think you need to be a little careful on any of the entries for Worcester as everything taken from the Worcester Diocese seem to be lumped together as the same place description, even though the film number gives additional detail.

350531 is Powick Deanery & 350493 (Benjamin) is Kidderminster Deanery

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/651296?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 January 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Oh I see, thank you Jomot! I didn't realise the catalogue numbers would help to narrow the locations.... ah, still learning!

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 January 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Seeing how difficult it was for people to move from region to region (I'm reminded of removal orders on some of my other ancestors in Worcestershire/Gloucestershire), how likely would it be for a tradesman miller to move around and have some children christened in Alfrick, others in Worcester (Powick deanery)? The Pressdee family clearly were from Alfrick, but in the early 19thC at least traded in Worcester. William Wood seems to have come from neighbouring Suckley or Leigh-with-Bransford, but also traded in Worcester. On LDS I've found possible baptisms for children: William 16 May 1813, John 18 Dec 1815 and Harriet 16 Dec 1816, all in Alfrick and Lulsley, Then Rebecca in Worcester (Powick Deanery) in 1818. Censuses and marriage for my Rebecca seem consistently to point to a birth of 1818, and the 350531 film is the only one that seems to match, so I'm guessing the family were originally in Alfrick, but moved to Worcester between 1816 and 1818.... does the Powick Deanery encompass a part of Worcester? There's another possible christening for a Robert Wood with the same parents on 29th Sept 1822 in Leigh with Bransford, which, if the same family, suggests back and forth movement between Worcester and the villages to the West.