Author Topic: Can't find my Adams family?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't find my Adams family?
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas that could help me with my 'brick wall'?....

My Great Grandmother Sarah Adams was born on 6 December 1879 in Clerkenwell / St. Pancras. I have never been able to find her birth record, but know the year from the 1881 census and the date from a personal letter that she sent my mum in 1964 (following the birth of my brother) where she said she had just celebrated her birthday on 6 December.

I had a bit of a breakthrough recently, when I finally found her baptism record - she was baptised on 4 January 1880 at St Peter's, Regent Square, St, Pancras. Parents are John Adams (Coach Painter) and Sarah and their address was 11 Wellington Square.

I have found the 1881 census for her with her parents and siblings at Leigh St, St.Pancras:

John Adams (Coach Painter), age 45 - born Bristol, Gloucester;
Sarah Adams (wife), age 34 - born Clerkenwell, Middlesex
John, age 15
Elizabeth, age 12
Thomas, age 9
Henry, age 3
Sarah, age 1 (my GGran)
(All the children also born Clerkenwell, Middlesex)

I cannot find an 1891 or 1901 census for any of them.....

I know Sarah married Herbert Walter Brittin on 31 August 1902 at St. Mary's, Somers Town. Her father John Adams (Coach Painter) is stated to be deceased, Witnesses include John William Adams and Jane Adams. (I have the certificate).

Sarah then appears on the 1911 census with Herbert and her own children.

But where were they in 1891 and 1901? Assuming her dad John could have already died by 1901, I have tried to find mother Sarah as a widow and her siblings, but can't find any obvious matches.

I also can not find any trace of Father John and Mother Sarah on the censuses before my Sarah was born. As all the children are stated as being born in Clerkenwell, I should have thought I would find them in 1871 at least?

Really struggling as to where to go next. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find my Adams family?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Most likely would eb that Sarah remarried and they're enumerated under her new surname

Have, however, found this which may help the hunt

John William Adams, 27, post officer sorter - father John william Adams, carriage painter (deceased)
Alice Elizabeth Brittin, 24 - father Edward Brittin, harness maker (deceased)
Marriage 27 Oct 1895, St Saviour, St Pancras

Address 173 Drummond St, witness Herbert Brittin and Lily Wood

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

I thought that sounded familiar so rechecked my notes and realised that I had Alice Brittin's marriage to John William Adams in my Brittin file, but hadn't cross referenced. Many thanks - I'll do that now.

I guess if I could find his birth record that may help me with Sarah's maiden name?

(Fairly inexperienced at all this...)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
John and ALice are in Somers Town in 1901, and appear to be in the same neck of the wood as Herbert & Sarah in 1911. that gives a very different place of birth for John!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
There's a Sarah Adams aged 9 on the 1891 census in the St Pancras School, Leavesdon, Hertfordshire.

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Anne Adams b Q4 1879 Mile End Vol 1c p589 looks a possibility for the birth registration and the GRO index gives the mmn as Robertson.

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated.

Sc00p - I think I have previously dismissed that birth record, but can't for the life of me work out why.... I can't see that I have ordered the certificate, so think that's my next step. Thank you.

Mabel - I cannot find any of the census records you refer to? Can't understand why - how/where are you searching? I did find a John and Alice in 1911, but they had only been married 1.5 years, so didn't think that could be them?

The Pancras school suggestion though, started making me think and I have been searching the workhouse records. Success!

I have now found John (Father), Sarah (Mother) with children John, Elizabeth and Thomas admitted to Holborn workhouse on 20 Nov 1877. The children were discharged "to Mitcham" in December that same year. John and Sarah were discharged on 28 Feb 1878 at their "own request". I think that the Mitcham reference is to the Mitcham Industrial school, but I'm struggling to search on-line records for that.

I then found several other admissions for Sarah (Mother) - she was admitted:

(in labour) on 12 July 1868 and John was born in the Holborn workhouse. (Both discharge 2 Aug)
on 23 May 1872 and Thomas was born in the Holborn workhouse (both discharged 1 Jun 1872)
on 17 Aug 1874 and an Eliza was born (not that I have an Eliza in any other records) - both discharged 5 Sept 1874.

So - knowing John (son) and Thomas (son) birth dates, I again turned to the birth registers, but still can't find them!

I have, however, found (I think) a baptism record for John - Saint Phillip's, Clerkenwell 23 Sept 1869 (although it says born 12 Jan, which doesn't tie up with workhouse record....- occupation of father John is correct though).

Aaaagh - I seem to get so close, but still can't find the official birth records for any of the children, so no closer to getting Sarah (Mother) maiden name...

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I think the issue may be John's age on later censuses - he claims to be a little younger than on 1881 (but roughly consistent with his marriage) ie. bc1868-69

1901 - 58 Polygon Building, block D

John W Adams    32 - postman, b Clerkenwell
Alice Adams    29 - b Pancras
John I Adams    1 - b Pancras

RG13, 145, 113, 30

As I said, in 1911 they're living in the same town as Herbert and Sarah - John jnr I think may have died.

Offline Bearcub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Mabel,

Actually that DOB is more consistent with the workhouse birth and baptism I have found so that looks likely.

I have now found quite a few other baptisms for John and Sarah's children, but sadly still none of the actually birth records that I could order certificates for.

Andrea