Author Topic: Susannah Foot (Allen)  (Read 3203 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susannah Foot (Allen)
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Susannah was born 1780/1781 in Mappowder and was married to Titus Foot in Oborne. I have no idea why the marriage took place there as I can find no family connection to that place. I also have not found the place where she died and was buried. Any information regarding Susannah would be most helpful including where she lived. She appears in the 1861 Census and I wonder if it is possible to find her actual address?  When Titus was still alive they lived in the Park at Cerne Abbas. That is the only information regarding that address and the only property on maps of Cerne Park shows a Keeper's Cottage that was still habited until 1901 when it was a ruin. Therefore I can only assume that was their address unless they were living rough. A huge thanks for any assistance.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Foot (Allen)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

According to the 1802 marriage recorded in Oborne, Susannah ALLEN was "of this Parish" whilst Titus was "of Buckland Newton" - so perhaps you'd need to know more about her natal family to understand why she would be of Oborne.

According to Militia lists for 1798/1799, Titus FOOT (and a number of other FOOT men)  lived within the tything of Plush, which is in the Union of Cerne.

Did Titus die in 1838,  at the Union Workhouse of Cerne. Buried Cerne Abbas ?
If he did - then sadly, I don't think the 1861 Susannah FOOT is yours (unless she remarried another FOOT)?

1851: Sharnell, Buckland Newton, Dorset
HO107- Piece 185/ Folio 81 /Pg29
Head: Thomas FOOT 73, Pauper, b Dewlish, Dorest
Wife: Susannah FOOT 70, Pauper, b Buckland, Dorset
Lodger: James WARR 36, Marr, Labourer, b Palham, Dorset
Lodger: Jane WARR 35, Buttoner, b Buckland

1861: Sharnell Green, Buckland Newton, Dorset
Head: Susannah FOOT 80, widow, b Mappowder
Lodger: David WAR 34, mar, Ag Lab, b Glanville Wooten
Lodger: Jane WAR, 47, mar b Buckland
Nep-hew: David WAR 32, unm, Ag Lab, b Glanville Wooten

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:29 GMT (UK) »
And for completion:
1841: Tything of Duntish,Parish  Buckland Newton, District of Cerne, Dorset
Thomas FOOT 55, Ag Lab
Susannah FOOT, 55
Robert FOOT 20,
Thomas FOOT 15,
/
William CHALDECOTT 50, Ag Lab
Thomas ARDEN??? 20, Ag Lab
//

Previous address' to FOOT family:
Park Lane
Knaps Hill

The ages are rounded down for 1841, so in reality these two recorded in 1841 at age 55 could really be nearer 60. Combine that with the oft-made mistakes of the enumerators applying that rounding rule, as well as enumerator mistakes in general, or mis-information by the inhabitants themselves, and the 1841 FOOT can quite conceivably be the same couple at 1851 and 1861 at the Sharnell address.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:39 GMT (UK) »
BAPTISM 1820:
Robert FOOT
Bp: 30 Jan 1820, Mappowder , son of:
Thomas FOOT, Dairyman of Buckland Newton
Susannah FOOT

MARRIAGE 1809:
In Mappowder, 22 May 1809
Thomas FOOT
Susannah CHALDECOTT

The 1809 Marriage  seems to tie up with the 1841 Household of Thomas & Susanna - a further cements the evidence that widow Susannah FOOT in 1861 is not your  Susannah, nee ALLEN   :'(

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:52 GMT (UK) »
DEATH 1828:
Susannah FOOT, aged 46, of In the Park, Cerne Abbas
Buried 28 March 1828, by Vicar of Sydling St Nicholas

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
many thanks. the Church of Latter Day site shows a Susannah Foot born 1781 living in Buckland Newton in 1861. My Susannah was definitely married to Titus and they lived together in the park at Cerne Abbas. The Cerne Abbas Parish records show the baptism of a number of their children. My gut feeling is that she died early and not the same as the 1861 although Buckland Newton is next to Mappowder , where she was born. Why do the C of Latter Day Saints believe the records show she was there. All very confusing. Thanks again for any further assistance.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Mark, but I don't understand your confusion.

As Ambly has shown, there were 2 Susannah Foot's - one married to Titus and the other married to a Thomas.  'Your' Susannah was buried at Cerne Abbas 28/3/1828 and address shown as In the Park, Cerne Abbas as you would have expected as Titus died there 10 years later (whereas Susannah wife of Thomas was still alive and with him in 1841, 1851 and a widow 1861).

Since 'your' Susannah died before a census you don't actually know her birthplace - just because she was living in Oborne at the time of the marriage does not mean it was her birthplace.  Indeed, there are no other Allen's recorded in Osborne parish records. 

Susannah Chaldicott (wife of Thomas) was indeed born in Mappowder and bp.22/7/1781, dau. of William and Fanny.

I also think your Susannah Allen was probably from Mappowder too as there is the baptism of a Susanna Allen on 7/4/1782, dau. of William and Anne (which ties in with her 1828 burial date).   Others with the same name and circa birthdate seem to be too far away from the vicinity of Oborne. 

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Annette just ipped me to the post  ;D

I was about to reply with all the same comments, including "being 'of this parish' is not always the same thing as saying 'born in this parish'."

(I assume you have all their surviving children sorted out in Census etc - and that no clues lie with where and with whom any of them may be?)

I dredged up a few Oborne  things - which  by the absence of any other obvious ALLEN events,  supports as Annette said, her being from elsewhere.
http://www.opcdorset.org/OborneFiles/OborneBaps1761-1812.htm
Parish of Oborne Baptisms
No ALLEN (var).

http://www.opcdorset.org/OborneFiles/1801Oborne.htm
Oborne Census 1801
No ALLEN (var).

http://www.opcdorset.org/OborneFiles/OborneMarrs1.htm
Oborne Marriages
NO FOOT-ALLEN 1802 shown (there seems to be a period of marriages missing off this database - because we know for certain this marriage did occur there)

Parish Book for OBORNE  Has a note inside, saying that in 1801 a tithe account of the Parish of Oborne showed 48 males and 74 females

May or may not ever be pertinent - The 1802 Marriage of Titus and Susannah
Witness were: George FOOT and Lydia BRETT

Lydia BRETT of Oborne probably married a George SHEPPERD in Oborne 1809.
One of their witness' was a Maria BRETT.

And for interest, A book to hunt down called "Cerne Abbas: the story of a Dorset village"
By Mary Dorothea Jones - 1952
Excerpt  "The 'Park' is surrounded by an ancient ditch and was probably an earthwork, as it lies on, and is adjacent to, the site of one of the British Settlements which are a familiar feature of prehistoric Cerne. Moreover, it has always been the traditional ..."

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. I have previously wondered whether Lydia Brett was a friend or perhaps initially a colleague of Susannah working on a farm or large house. The Allen's appear to have no obvious contact with the parish. Perhaps if there was a connection a member of the Allen family would of been a witness.