Author Topic: Susannah Foot (Allen)  (Read 3185 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Foot (Allen)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 January 17 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Ambly and Annette. Yes Titus was buried in Cerne Workhouse and Susannah was born in Mappowder. Ibelieve the confusion with the Susannah's is due to the same name and same age. I wonder why the vicar of Sydling buried her rather than the vicar at Cerne. Do you think she was buried in Sydling  or did he just officiate the ceremony? Have you any thoughts regarding finding additional info regarding Titus & Susannah as all I have is her death info, some of their childrens' details and  baptism records, Titus military and the fact they lived in the park. He was a woodman and a labourer of husbandry. Titus died in the Union Workhouse but I have no idea where he was buried. It might be  as a pauper he was buried at the workhouse?
Maps show a Keeper's Cottage in the park at Cerne Abbas but no other buildings and I assume that is where they lived and their son William (born 1815) or perhaps they lived rough but I feel thyat would have been unlikely.  If they lived in the cottage then I assume he would have worked for a big estate.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 January 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Both Susannah and Titus were buried at Cerne Abbas as the burial records show.  Titus' abode was the workhouse but he wouldn't have been buried there but in the churchyard as with all burials.  May well have been a paupers grave as so many were in those times.

You seem to be over complicating things. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 June 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am not sure whether you are still researching Titus Foot.
My 4X  great grandfather is Robert Foot (1768-1841), also born in Buckland Newton  He was one of 9 children including Titus Foot !1780-1838)

Apart from year of birth and death I have no other information for Titus but I do have names for their parents  - Robert Foot and Ann Mullet married 8 Oct 1761 in Buckland Newton.
Robert (Titus' brother) married a Susanna Gillingham.

If you are descended from Titus Foot I think we may be some sort of cousins.

Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Robert Foote

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tracing paternal and maternal lines and sides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all, according to my calculator, Titus is my 1st Cousin 7 x removed. He was born probably in 1780 in Buckland Newton, Married Susannah Allen, 1 Nov 1802 and sadly his death is recorded in the Union Work House, Cerne Abbas. 27 Oct 1828. I have to post a caveat here. The Titus who died in Cerne Abbas was roughly the right age but may not have been the same person. There was certainly one more Titus Foot kicking about Dorset at that time. It is unlikely that he was buried at the Workhouse. All burials had to be in consecrated ground unless it was a heathen/unbaptised or suicide. Even then they are likely to be buried in a cemetry. I have found a couple of suicides that are buried in church cemetries. Normally they note the burial record as "No Service" or such

Foot - Sturminster, Manston, Child Okeford, Cann, Iwerne (both of them), Boscombe, Bournemouth.
Wareham - Anywhere mid dorset or Southampton.
Niblock - Belfast

Offline Robert Foote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry I should have clarified. Titus was born about 1780 because his baptism was 28 May 1780 in Buckland Newton. Again it can only be "about" as during my searches I have found that there can be up to 3 years between birth and baptism. In most cases I am sure that they were baptised within the month.

Foot - Sturminster, Manston, Child Okeford, Cann, Iwerne (both of them), Boscombe, Bournemouth.
Niblock - Belfast

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
If I have calculated correctly Titus Foot (1780-1838) is my 4 X great grand uncle.  His father is Robert Foot and mother Ann Mullett and he was one of 9 children. 
His brother Robert Foot is my direct ancestor.  My branch of the family eventually ended up in Ringwood where my mother was born and I still have relatives.
Jan

Offline Robert Foote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 06:55 BST (UK) »
I come from the line of Titus's Uncle John. Apparently. I say apparently as this info came from a chap called Leonard Foot who published a Foot family tree (and a book) about 15 years ago. The more I research though the more I find inconsistencies. I think some of the links may have been fanciful assumptions. Nonetheless I keep the information there until I can disprove it. The descendants of John Foot migrated to Cranford Chase and can still be found on the Shaftesbury/Blandford road from Cann to Stourpaine. In the Manston cemetery well over half of the gravestones bear the name.
Niblock - Belfast

Offline Robert Foote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 06:57 BST (UK) »
I tend to gather all Foot information that I can find so I have information on a number of distinct unconnected lines. I hope that as I find further generations some links may appear.
Niblock - Belfast

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have tracked back from Lydia Foot my great-great-grandmother to Robert Foot who has a brother Titus with birth and death years matching your relative, using Parish records from Dorset opc, ancestry.co.uk and findmypast.co.uk  As I am in Australia I have only been able to use online sources. 

Jan