Author Topic: STEWART, David & McLEANAN, Agnes  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
STEWART, David & McLEANAN, Agnes
« on: Saturday 14 January 17 23:53 GMT (UK) »
This post follows on from a handwriting request posted here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=762745.0 .  I’ve posted this query in this more general Scotland area as it may cover more than the one County.

Agnes Stewart married George Milne in Lintrathen, Angus in 1836.  Witnesses are not recorded on the Register of Marriages.

On the 1841 census the couple are recorded as George and Agnes Mill living at Kincaldrum.  This spelling of the surname appears on SP as well as the Ancestry and FindMyPast transcriptions.  With them are children Mary (I) aged 4, George age 2 and James age 2 months.   Also with them is May Lyon shown with occupation Farm Servant who is George’s mother.  Agnes is shown as age 20, but the adult ages do all appear to be rounded.

On the 1851 census George and Agnes Milne are in Kinnell with children George age 13 born Forfar, James age 11 born Inverarirty, William (my ancestor) age 9 born Inverarity, Daniel 6 born Forfar and Thomas age 1 born Kinnell in 1849.  Agnes is shown as age 36, with birthplace shown on the Ancestry transcription as Urra, Inverness-shire (I think this should be Urray).

The 1861 shows George and Agnes in Carmyllie with children Agnes age 11 born Kinnell, Mary (II) age 7 born Kinnell in 1854 and Jessie age 5 born Arbirlot in 1856.  Although there is no continuity of the children from the 1851 census, in 1870 May Lyon dies in the home of George Milne of Carmyllie and is buried in the same Lair with George, Agnes and one of their grandsons.  Agnes is shown as age 44, with birthplace on the Ancestry transcription as Kirkhill, Inverness-shire.

The 1871 census shows George, Agnes and daughter Jessie in Carmyllie.  Agnes is shown as age 53, with birth-place on the Ancestry transcription as Kingwood, Ross-shire.  I haven’t located Kingwood in either Rosss-shire or Inverness-shire so this may be a mistranscription.

Agnes dies on 13 January 1878 at Cotton of Carmyllie age shown as 61.  George is the Informant.  Her parents are listed as David Stewart, Day Labourer and Agnes McLeanan, both deceased.

There are numerous trees that list David Stewart’s origins as Redgorton, Perthshire and Agnes McLeanan’s as Mains, Angus.  I did find a record for a David Stewart baptised in Redgorton in 1799 but this would seem to make him on the young side to be the father of Agnes.

I have not been able to confirm Agnes Stewart’s birth or any details for David Stewart and Agnes McLeanan other than being named as Agnes’s parents on her death registration.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART, David & McLEANAN, Agnes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 17 01:05 GMT (UK) »
"Kingswood, Populated Place
An inhabited place in the parish of Little Dunkeld"

The above would come under Perthshire.

I think you need the 1871 original?

Annie

Added, she does seem to change her place of birth though?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 17 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Added, she does seem to change her place of birth though?

It is a bit of a leap from Inverness-shire to Ross-shire.

Thanks for finding Kingswood in Perthshire.  That could also make some sense if her father was from Perthshire.   It may be a coincidence, but George's mother Marjory (May) Lyon was from Kirkmichael, Perthshire.

And you are correct, I eventually may have to break down and use some credits for the 1871 census.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 17 01:33 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for finding Kingswood in Perthshire.  That could also make some sense if her father was from Perthshire.   It may be a coincidence, but George's mother Marjory (May) Lyon was from Kirkmichael, Perthshire.

And you are correct, I eventually may have to break down and use some credits for the 1871 census.

A whole £1.50 ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 17 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to locate father David in 1841?

I doubt his name would be too common?

Annie

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 17 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to locate father David in 1841?

I have, but cannot identify a likely candidate.

I have been able to look at the FindMyPast transcription of the 1871 census which shows Agnes' birthplace as Dingwall, Ross & Cromarty.  The 1851 and 1861 transcriptions concur with Ancestry.  I see how Dingwall might be mistranscribed as "Kingwood".

Dingwall isn't very far from Urray, but the inconsistency of location certainly isn't helping.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
So Agnes married in Angus at age 16 approx if 1841 age is correct?

I wonder if her parents moved to Angus?

Don't want to side track you but what's confusing is the Stewart surname is prominent in Perthshire i.e. I wonder if she was illegitimate, born McLennan or whatever name it's meant to be with reputed father a David Stewart?

Annie

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
It is a bit of a leap from Inverness-shire to Ross-shire.

Not really - Kirkhill is only about 10 miles south of Urray - and Dingwall is about 8 miles north.

Unfortunately, you might be on a loser with the parish records - according to Family Search, the records for all three of these parishes are incomplete for the period you're interested in. A scan through the SP marriages and baptisms index from about 1770 to 1820 seems to concur with this assessment - I can't see any baptisms or marriages anywhere in Scotland with David Stewart/Stuart and Agnes McLennan(or any variants of that spelling).

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 January 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
So Agnes married in Angus at age 16 approx if 1841 age is correct?

The 1841 ages are rounded down.  George was baptised in 1811 but shows as 25 and May was baptised in 1784 but shows as 55.  However, even the other ages stated for Agnes suggest she may have married young.

Don't want to side track you but what's confusing is the Stewart surname is prominent in Perthshire

While I can't rule anything out completely, I think Perthshire may be a red herring and Dingwall seems the more likely transcription.