Author Topic: STEWART, David & McLEANAN, Agnes  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART, David & McLEANAN, Agnes
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 January 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Not really - Kirkhill is only about 10 miles south of Urray - and Dingwall is about 8 miles north.

Unfortunately, you might be on a loser with the parish records - according to Family Search, the records for all three of these parishes are incomplete for the period you're interested in. A scan through the SP marriages and baptisms index from about 1770 to 1820 seems to concur with this assessment - I can't see any baptisms or marriages anywhere in Scotland with David Stewart/Stuart and Agnes McLennan(or any variants of that spelling).

You are right about the locations being close.  I was thinking of the different counties, but then these locations are near the border.

The closest I have found is a George Stewart and Catherine McLennan who marry in Dingwall in 1796, have several children in Dingwall and then later on a few more in Contin, ending with Ann in 1819.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
1851 .... birthplace shown on the Ancestry transcription as Urra, Inverness-shire (I think this should be Urray).
1861 .... birthplace on the Ancestry transcription as Kirkhill, Inverness-shire.
1871 .... Ancestry transcription as Kingwood, Ross-shire.  I haven’t located Kingwood in either Rosss-shire or Inverness-shire so this may be a mistranscription.
Don't rely on transcriptions, especially those on A******y, which are notorious for creative spelling. Always check the originals on Scotland's People.

Urray is a parish in Ross-shire. The only place of any size in the parish of Urray is the village of Muir of Ord. The parish of Kirkhill in Inverness-shire is its immediate neighbour to the south, and Dingwall is only a few miles away.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
The MacLennan's were cleared from Strathconon so local name, various Mackenzie estates in Urray, this is Fairburn with tenants listed.

http://www.fairburn-estate.co.uk/history.html

Skoosh.