Author Topic: Stark Family of Kilsyth and Banton  (Read 6314 times)

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stark Family of Kilsyth and Banton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 17:27 GMT (UK) »
From the Parish Registers of Kilsyth, on Scotland's People, I can't see a single birth record for Lannisters or Baratheons. Not to say there weren't people with those surnames, not all has been digitised.

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Banton is a 5 minute car drive from Kilsyth.

Marguerite.

Offline krellia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, Alexander STARK of Kilsyth was a witness at my x6 great grandfather's birth in 1688 (see https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Miller-41678). However, I have not been able to determine a link between the STARK/Miller family. Have you come across this name in your research?

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 January 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm not too sure Kreilla. There may well be a connection but no way of confirming that. I know that William Stark had a child outwith marriage with Janet Baird years later in 1711. This was Jean Stark, my ancestor. So if Alexander Stark of Banton is William's father, then there could be a connection with your witnesses since I notice there is also a William Baird alongside Alexander. It's very tenuous but not much to go on?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 January 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
The natives pronounce this Ban-tone with the emphasis on tone!

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 January 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
From the Parish Registers of Kilsyth, on Scotland's People, I can't see a single birth record for Lannisters or Baratheons. Not to say there weren't people with those surnames, not all has been digitised.
All of the surviving parish registers of the Church of Scotland and the Roman Catholic Church, and some of the surviving registers of the free and dissenting churches, has been digitised. What has not been digitised is a very small proportion of what survives.

The surnames Lannister and Baratheon appear to be almost entirely fictitious. Why did you think they occurred in Kilsyth and Banton, and what connection do they have to the Stark family?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 January 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
The Lannister and Baratheon post is a Game of Thrones joke, since there are characters with the surname Stark in that series as well. Not too funny I might add!

I have noticed legal records on the National Records of Scotland regarding Alexander Stark of Banton, dating from as far back as 1687. This was regarding the estate of the Viscount Kilsyth.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 January 18 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear .......  :-X

Offline djdevine6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
My 3rd great grandfather is James Stark, birth ABT 1787 • Kilsyth, Stirlingshire, Scotland, death 25 JUN 1864 • Esquesing Township, Halton County, Ontario, Canada.  I Know he had several siblings, including Alexander, Andrew, John, Joseph, Helen (Gillies)(married to James...immigrated to Lanark County, Ontario, Canada) and Ann (possibly more but I am confident about this).  James was a cousin to Rev. Alexander Stark (1786-1881) and Rev Joseph Stark (1798-1877), both ministers with the Free Church of Scotland.  Their siblings were James (?-abt 1826), Janet (1784-1856) and Robert (1802-?).  Their father was Alexander Stark (?-abt 1826) and their mother Elizabeth Nisbet.  Another family of cousins were James and Joseph.  I have their father's name as James but I am not 100% sure of that.  I also have a nephew John, who immigrated to Canada (Kingston, Ontario) in the 1820s.  I have found birth records for Alexander and Elizabeth Stark's family but I can't seem to find anything for my 3rd great grandfather or his siblings to identify their parents.  Can anyone provide suggestions.  Since I am in Canada my research has been almost completely through Ancestry.  If anyone has an Ancestry account you can find more about what I have in my tree (djdevine6).