Author Topic: [REQ] Marriage and/or Death Lookup  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: [REQ] Marriage and/or Death Lookup
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
... nothing further found just yet for George James MILLER (one three has him born "England" and Mary Jane Born in Devon  ::) ) .

Lewis and Jane MILLER (Louisa's parents) were in NZ by 1868 because their youngest daughter Agnes was born here.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 00:12 GMT (UK) »
A few days ago, whilst checking the information in this particular tree that I'm researching, I actually decided to remove George Miller from the list of Lewis Miller and Jane's (nee Doughty) children because I was unable to find a birth record for him in Victoria, and I know from the passenger list that Lewis (Louis) and Jane emigrated from Scotland to Victoria without any children.  However, I did wonder if George might have been born at sea on that voyage.

There is a passenger list of the ship "Gothenberg I" that shows Jane Miller and 5 children coming from Victoria, Australia and going to Otago, New Zealand, and one of those children is a George Miller, who was 11 in February 1865.  The other 4 children have the same names and approximate birth dates as Lewis and Jane's children.  Here is a link to that list - http://prov.vic.gov.au/search_results?searchid=42&format=freetext&FamilyName=miller&GivenName=&Ship=Gothenburg+I&Destination=&Month=2&Monthto=2&Year=1865&Yearto=1865&SearchSortField1=&SearchRecords=25&x=68&y=16

When I checked NZ Probates for George James Miller's will (this being the George Miller who married Mary Jane Craigie) there is an Affidavit in which his daughter states the following:

"That I am informed by Edith Elizabeth Ellen Reid of Auckland, a daughter of the said deceased, that the said deceased was born at sea, of British parents, on the voyage from Scotland to Australia......"

So, more and more I am leaning towards these 2 George Millers actually being the same George Miller, namely the son of Lewis Miller and Jane Doughty.  Now, if only I can find a record of George's birth at sea, so that I will know for certain.  I did check the Victoria births at sea, but couldn't find a George Miller.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Mmm ... Register of Births at Sea appears to start at 1854 (so too late for George).

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Have found ship that Jane and Louis MILLER arrived on into AUS. 
Images are quite difficult to read ... can't at present see Births on board (plenty entered in Deaths at sea.)    :(
Will look further.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Have found ship that Jane and Louis MILLER arrived on into AUS. 
Images are quite difficult to read ... can't at present see Births on board (plenty entered in Deaths at sea.)    :(
Will look further.

Is that the "Ticonderoga", also known as the "fever ship"?  I have access to those images, so will have a look more closely at them.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, "Ticonderoga" + 1852

I've just had another look without any real joy. 
Double pages - one side gives "Nominal List" (Immigrant's names/ ages/ calling/ native place etc.)
Right-hand side of page shows "Disposal list" (who employed them / where they went/ wages allocated etc.)

Then starting at Image 359 - left-hand page has Nominal List -- r-hand page begins listing the  "Deaths".

It is mentioned in articles that 19 births occurred on the voyage.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, "Ticonderoga" + 1852

I've just had another look without any real joy. 
Double pages - one side gives "Nominal List" (Immigrant's names/ ages/ calling/ native place etc.)
Right-hand side of page shows "Disposal list" (who employed them / where they went/ wages allocated etc.)

Then starting at Image 359 - left-hand page has Nominal List -- r-hand page begins listing the  "Deaths".

It is mentioned in articles that 19 births occurred on the voyage.

I also have looked at them more closely, and whilst found the Deaths, can't find the Births.