Author Topic: William Edward Armytage Axon  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Lucy M Evans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edward Armytage Axon
« on: Sunday 15 January 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I'm writing a biography of William Edward Armytage Axon (1846-1913), a Manchester antiquarian, librarian, author and journalist, as well as vegetarian and temperance pioneer. I've worked out quite a lot of his family connections and am currently trying to track through another post the descendants of his daughter, Sophia Haddow, in New Zealand. In the UK his family line seems to die out - I know of his son Ernest C A Axon (1871-1947), and his grandson Geoffrey Rogerson Axon, b 1892, but cannot trace Geoffrey's son, referred to as Keith, who was apparently at Dunkirk. There was possibly a granddaughter, Geoffey's sister, Florence b.1896. Through his second marriage, William had a daughter, Dorothy b. 1894, m. Leonard Aston in 1922. I suspect all these lines died out but if anyone has further information I'd be very grateful.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Edward Armytage Axon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 17 12:48 GMT (UK) »
From freebmd
Births Jun 1892   
Axon    Geoffrey Rogerson        Chorlton    8c   984    

Marriages Sep 1915   
Geoffrey R Axon
Mabel W Lee   
Chorlton    8c   2299   

Deaths Sep 1961 
AXON    Geoffrey R   age 69   
Wellington    9a   184

Freebmd has birth in 1917 and marriage in Dec qtr 1939 for Keith
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Keith Lee Axon
Birth 18 Dec 1916
Death Feb 2002 - Wrekin, Shropshire
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Freebmd has two possible Axon births for Keith and his wife, you can find these by using surname Axon and the mothers maiden name
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Manchester Evening News 19th Dec 1916
Births---AXON. On 18th inst. at a nursing home to Private and Mrs Geoffrey R Axon (nee Mabel W Lee) of 20 Percival Street, Longsight, a son.

There is aalso a marriage for Geoffrey and Mabel in 1915, relatives mentioned.

Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline emmakateri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I realise this is over 18 months later, but if it's still of interest I'm an ancestor. As far as I can tell, Dorothy married Lennard (roughly 1887-1946) in 1915. They had two children - Barbara (1923-2018) (my grandma), and Peter (b. 1930). Both married and have living children & grandchildren. If you'd like to know any more let me know  :)

Offline Lucy M Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 September 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Thanks so much for picking this up - I am really really interested to find out more about Axon's daughter Dorothy and this is so exciting. I'm now met up with Roger Axon and his family. They are descended from Dorothy's half brother Ernest Axon. Roger's grandfather was Geoffrey and his father Keith. Roger remembers visits to his great great aunt Dorothy as a child but that's all. Roger has the Axon Family Book, full of photos and letters but very little for Dorothy. I've written the first four chapters of my biography and would love to trace more about Dorothy and her family. I'm happy to provide email address etc, Very best wishes, Lucy

Offline emmakateri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 September 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
Ah amazing! I'm completely new to here, is there a way to message you or are you happy to post your email?

Offline Lucy M Evans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 September 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi! I've only used occasionally and hard to fathom out! I think if I send my email via personal messages no one else sees that. I'll try anyway. Thanks so much for replying! Lucy

Offline rusholmearchive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 November 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been planning to write a page about WE Axon on my website rusholmearchive.org. William Axon spent his final years living in Victoria Park, (Rusholme), the house that he lived in, Fairfield, is now demolished, but I do have a photograph of the property. I have a wide range of information about him from local papers but I am now seeking an image of of him. My page will not challenge the biography that Lucy Evans is writing but be an illustration of yet another interesting Victoria Park. Axon did collaborate with another Victoria Park resident, H.T. Crofton, to translate a verse of Edward FitzGerald’s Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam into English Romany. Any help would be welcome................