Author Topic: Brother's Keeper Family History Program  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brother's Keeper Family History Program
« on: Sunday 15 January 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have just bought a new computer which runs on Windows 10. BK Version 6.5 on my old computer (Windows 7) will not run on Windows 10 so I have downloaded Version 7 from the BK website. I have backed up all the data files on a USB pendrive from my old computer, but don't know how to transfer them from the pendrive onto Version 7 on my new computer.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)
Hall, Isherwood, Peel, Rushton, Bentley, Lee, Leyland, Lunn

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brother's Keeper Family History Program
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I have just bought a new computer which runs on Windows 10. BK Version 6.5 on my old computer (Windows 7) will not run on Windows 10 so I have downloaded Version 7 from the BK website. I have backed up all the data files on a USB pendrive from my old computer, but don't know how to transfer them from the pendrive onto Version 7 on my new computer.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

I wish people would not use "back up" to back up files more times than not it cause future problems no matter what program one uses.

With Brothers Keeper (BK) the best way to back up files or change computers or even duplicate the files for other family members is to simply copy the files to the new computer/drive.

BK 7  stores its files in the "Brothers Keeper 7" folder (should be on your C drive but could be on any other drive you specified when you setup BK. If you open the folder, named Data, this contains 3 futher folders  Media, Picture and Text everything you need is contained in this Data folder plus the three internal folders (I mention them as occasionally some Windows systems will not copy the internal folders).

Copy the Data folder to the same drive on the new computer (C drive), open Brothers Keeper and use the File - open database option to open your family tree file.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brother's Keeper Family History Program
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this Guy. Will try this.
Geoff :)
Hall, Isherwood, Peel, Rushton, Bentley, Lee, Leyland, Lunn